Help

Career Decisions

Why Do They Think That

>

Beateach

Why Do They Think That
Old 08-13-2006, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

they own us body and soul? There was a paper in our teacher handbook listing what teachers do. One of the things listed is "they take home work every night so that they are prepared for the next day." Now I feel even more obligated to be working on school stuff all the time. I've worked a big chunk of the weekend on school stuff, but I still feel guilty because I took a long nap Friday evening and then watched Monk (no school work). I worked most of Saturday morning on typing Core Content into my lesson plan template, but still feel guilty because I took off for a couple of hours and went to the ice rink for some exercise (and dare I say fun?) and then went shopping and out to eat with DH. (By the way, we went to the Teacher Store for school supplies and Sam's Club for kindergarten snacks). I got up this morning and worked on my lesson plans and now feel guilty because I stopped to check PT and then I'm going to church! I'll come home and work some more. AGHHHHH!!! Thanks for letting me VENT!

Beateach is offline   Reply With Quote

stlcardinals

Old 08-13-2006, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First of all - you are working wwwwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much! You should never feel guilty about having a life outside of school. If you keep going at the pace you are, you are going to be burnt out by the end of the year.

If your administration feels that you should take work home every night, then take a bag home. That doesn't mean you have to work on it. As long as you are getting your work done - in my opinion - it doesn't matter when or where you do it.

You will be better able to deal with students on Monday morning if you had a relaxing weekend and were able to get out of the "school mode" for a few days!
stlcardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
YHG311

YHG311

Don't let it stress you out
Old 08-14-2006, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our school day is 7.75 hours. I say to myself that I won't work more than 9.75 hours maximum in a day, and 2 hours max on the weekends. What I need to learn to do is balance my time better. Once I get into the year and have my procedures down pat, I'm sure I'll cut my "extra time" in half.
We need to have lives outside of school. Read a book (not about teaching), do outdoor activities, just make sure to not be overwhelmed by school.
Fred

Fred

Burnout
Old 12-08-2006, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have always felt guilty, too ... even though I was always the teacher who stayed until 8 or 9 at night and then went in on Saturdays to make my copies and get organized for the week. To tell you the truth, after seventeen years, my personal life is very underdeveloped. I think all those years of burning the school candle at both ends has finally caught up with me. This year, I've been going home at 4:00 most days. I do feel guilty because I know that I must be burned out, but I just can't look at school stuff most nights here lately. Does that make me a bad teacher or person? Is this just a phase? Is this my way of taking a break? I still get that spark every now and then, but it just doesn't last the way it used to. I'm still nice to my students (and am so glad I haven't gotten burned out THAT way), but I'd like some of the old spark to come back just a little (but not so much that it eclipses the rest of my life again). Have any of you experienced a phase like this? Thanks!