Help

Career Decisions

Anyone Have(ing) a GOOD First Year?

>

TeachwLove

Anyone Have(ing) a GOOD First Year?
Old 09-07-2006, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a career changer, middle-aged, and just about to start my classes to get K-8 certification. I keep reading about how my first year will be extremely difficult.

I have taught for 10 years (though it was college level), so I know how endless the work is in teaching--especially if you strive to do your best. But I'm 2+ years away from my first job and I'm already buying books, saving lesson plans, reading your words of wisdom(!). So I'm thinking if I try hard enough, I can somehow prepare myself so that my first year is not one of 60+ hours per week all year long and learning every single thing as brand new???

Don't get me wrong: I know it will be a challenge, but is there ANY positive buzz about the first year or should I start stockpiling the Prozac along with my tips and tricks?

TeachwLove is offline   Reply With Quote

mrfc4

Old 09-08-2006, 02:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

it's not that i'm NOT having a good year (we only started two weeks ago) but it HAS been rocky, i'm in a new state and relearning a curriculum that i have taught five years prior, because the school where i teach now does it DIFFERENTLY and i have to reprogram myself to the new standard. and that's all with a capital UGH. and a cup of stress.
mrfc4 is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Good News
Old 09-08-2006, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am in my 3rd year, but my first year was fine. I am all about being efficient, and I did not spend 60+ hours a week planning. You are doing the right things to prepare yourself.

My first year was fun. It was so great to finally have my own class and the kids were great. ( and I taught in a challenging inner-city school). I think that the best thing is to not let yourself get stressed and just be happy about being a teacher!
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote
GatorMan1

GatorMan1

My First Year
Old 09-13-2006, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For the most part, my first year is going well. 95% of the students are fine, and I have nobody who'd I consider "evil." From reading these posts, it always seem like there is one kid who comes straight from hell. While I do have a couple challenging students, I can positively reach everyone with enough patience.
Since I'm a middle school teacher, their are more than a couple students who 'push your buttons,' but nothing serious has happened yet that would anger me. I am a patient, easygoing person, but I make sure to be firm but fair with all my students. Don't let them walk over you. You have to realize that some days are going be successful, other days will not go so swimmingly. Realize they will challenge your authority, and you have to live up to that challenge. I believe the students respect me (you never know for sure in 1 or 2 students), and that respect goes a long way.
Here is my teaching motto: Don't let any good deed go unrewarded, and don't let any bad deed go undisciplined. Whether it is a simple "thank you" or a chat out in the hallway when someone does wrong, make sure you always take action. If you allow one thrown paperball, then students will believe they can throw them all year, and etc.
For a first year teacher, I think the key is not to stress yourself out with too much work. I admit I usually work from 8am until 5 or 6pm, but if I wanted to, I could spend more hours preparing for work. Don't be obsessed over it.
BTW, always follow curriculum, because you'll get in more trouble for that then student discipline!

teachinduff

Better than I expected
Old 09-25-2006, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm working with 10th graders that have all sorts of issues coming into the classroom. I was well prepared by other staff on what to expect, and in my mind I imagined a more agressive group. What I got was not so much aggression but immaturity and it was easier as a result of having been prepared. They are difficult, but likeable and I can see they have potential, which also makes it easier. When I student taught, in spite of all the planning I did, I felt like a flop most days (and the student composition was the near opposite). I worried about how I'd handle my own and then I realized thats just it.....it is my own! I may get observed occasionally but no one is over my shoulder all the time, and the confidence immediately accompanied the planning. I feel like I've been taking less time planning than when I student taught and yet now I come up with more than I had.....must have been a mental block from having to go to classes after school.

teachinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
wannabe

wannabe

I'm stockpiling also
Old 10-30-2006, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I graduated in May and am still looking for a job. Every few days I spend some time surfing the web to find ideas on classroom management, center ideas, fun things, lesson plans, bulletin boards, etc. I know there is no way to prepare for everything but I'm hoping th at I can at least relieve SOME of the stress of the first year out if I try to prepare.

I'm trying to find bulletin board and classroom decorating ideas. I have found a few that I like and I put them in binders, in clear plastic sheet protectors.

I think it takes awhile to get into a routine as a new teacher, so I want to be as well prepared as I can!

Carebear

Wonderful year
Old 10-30-2006, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It is my first year and I am loving it. I have 28 fourth graders. I do spend lots of hours planning and preparing. I am great about taking things home so that I don't have to be in my classroom for endless hours. I to did save a lot while in college and student teaching.

You will be fine, good luck!
Carebear is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzbaby

First Year--Scary, but great
Old 09-08-2007, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am a second career teacher--54 years old and a first year teacher. I am teaching sixth grade in the district of my dreams. It is really scary, and some days I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. I spend a lot of time before and after school working on lesson plans, etc. both at home and at school, but I LOVE it! The first couple of weeks were overwhelming--lots of paperwork and just "getting into the swing of things." I substitute taught for four years while I was getting my certification, and it is so great to have my own classroom. The other teachers are more than willing to help me out, and the administration is very supportive, too.

My advice is to plan ahead as much as you can, don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it, and try to relax and enjoy. I am not the teacher I want to be yet, but I feel confident that it will come. Maybe not this year, but eventually.

Good luck.
jazzbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 09-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm a second year teacher. My first year was tough only because eveything was new to me. But I had a great team of teachers that helped and a great class so I really enjoyed my first year. During your first year you will probably wok really hard and be exhausted but you can enjoy it at the same time! Good luck!
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote