Career Decisions

FTCE English 6-12

>

Closed Thread

floridagrl

FTCE English 6-12
Old 10-06-2006, 10:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone taken this test? Is it hard? I've been studying for over a month, and I'm still a little overwhelmed with all this information.

BrevardSub

BrevardSub

How did you do?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in an ACP program and will be taking both 6-12 social science and english FTCE's in the near future. How was English?

kmerediz

kmerediz

kimby5466
Old 09-12-2007, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I took the English 6-12 test. I did not pass. A lot of the questions have to do with teaching strategies. In other words, what strategy would you use to teach ... Then, it will give you multiple choices. I just purchased a book online, Amazon.com, in order to study for it. Does anyone recommend a study guide?

lexieann

lexieann

English 6-12
Old 03-02-2009, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I too am studying for this test. A little disappointed to note that there hasn't been many responses to this post. However, I can at least recommend a book and share in many of the posters misery. The book that helped me to pass the Professional Education test is the REA FTCE Professional Education with the CD. I purchased the same company's book for the FTCE English 6-12 with the CD on Amazon. I like the CD because it allows you to take the test just like you would if you were taking the computer based test and gives you a percentage rating. Once I feel I score high enough, that is when I will schedule the retake of the 6-12 as I didn't pass it the first time. I missed passing by 5 points. I also like how the book gives explanations to the answers in the practice test. Good luck to everyone. I think I'm going to need it as well. lol.

Ms. Wiborg

Ms. Wiborg

Teacher
Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I bought not only one book, but 3! I took the test a week ago... did studying like crazy helped me? Not at all! Not even 10% of what I studied was on the test. If you decide to take it do not take the computer based one. I went to Broward Community College. They opened and closed the door like 25 times, one lady was typing like crazy, people were making noises.. and me? I was so mad... get earplugs if you decide to take it. Good luck!

Ms. Wiborg

Ms. Wiborg

Teacher
Old 04-16-2009, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I bought not only one book, but 3! I took the test a week ago... did studying like crazy help me? Not at all! Not even 10% of what I studied was on the test. If you decide to take it do not take the computer based one. I went to Broward Community College. They opened and closed the door like 25 times, one lady was typing like crazy, people were making noises.. and me? I was so mad... get earplugs if you decide to take it. Good luck!

julESS29

julESS29

Retaking FTCE English 6-12
Old 07-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

have you already passed your test second time? I just retook mine a few days ago, and honestly, i found it was even more challenging than the previous one. The essay part was easier, but multiple-choice questions were quite confusing, majority of them pertaining to methods and structure of teaching and conducting lessons. As for the textbook, i re-read FTCE English 6-12 by Alicia Mendoza several times, just to memorize the material better and see if anything of importance was missed. I must admit that i was bitterly disappointed in this book, as it matched none of the questions on the test. In fact, the exam did not even have approximate questions that the book offered. This time i will try to read more about different authors, poems and prose, and order flashcards. Hope this would help.

tampa1

tampa1

English 6-12
Old 02-23-2010, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also did not pass this test the 1st time (by 10 pts). I do not feel that the study guide by Mendoza was anything like the real test I took. Anyone suggest a different text to study from?

Thanks

CLB

CLB

Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I took the test Feb. 26 of this year. I received my results today...not passed. I have taken this test twice. I am also looking for the answer to the question "What do I study"? If I find out anything, I will let you know.

CourtLo33377

CourtLo33377

Help...perhaps
Old 12-29-2010, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I bought the study guide right, the one you can find at most bookstores, around September and took my test in November. Over that time I first read the book, then highlighted the information, then took notes, then took my first pre test. After that I found out what I was having the most trouble in, went back to reading the chapters and then summarized them in my own words. After that I took the second pre test. It sounds like a lot of work but I passed it on my first try so maybe my crazy method works.

suziesg1

HELP english 6-12
Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

has anyone passed lately? Taking this Friday and need some insight. I have studied the REA book....it's ok. i took the practice test online and missed 4/30. I wonder if these questions are fairly reasonable, compared to the actual test.
hoopjumper

hoopjumper

FTCE English 6-12
Old 05-19-2011, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I will be taking it this weekend!? Any strategies for a first timer?! Wish me luck! I also hope you all passed. I think it is unfair that teachers have to go through all of these things. Underpaid and underappreciated. The least the state could do is reduce the price of these exams. I will let you know how I do and I will also tell you what I remember...

Good Luck, Hoopjumper

CC girl

CC girl

Genius
Old 06-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I took the test today. It is hard. If you have not taken a full course in ESOL, you will miss a few questions right off the top. I have not heard of many of the authors. Study 19th century playwrights. Study Russian and German authors...so much for English and American literature! Study grammar books. Study elements of poetry and literary terms. Be ready to write an essay on a short story or a poem. I had never read either of the two choices; be prepared for a close read. I studied and found the test to be mostly hypothetical. Funny...I have been teaching intensive reading and honors English to 10th graders for 4 years. None of the contemporary literature we use in the classroom was featured on the test. If you have not spent time in the classroom, you will find many of the questions about strategy confusing. Think GROUP work!

Mari42

Mari42

Teaching helps you pass, NOT the studyguide!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

CC girl is RIGHT!

I have taken this test 3 times in one year and have gotten 190, 193, and 195 on them (you need a 200> to pass). I have taught ESOL Social Studies, Intensive Reading, English I regular and Honors over the past 2 1/2 years and I can say without a doubt, the most helpful thing has been actually TEACHING in the classroom and going to the trainings for Reading,that is what has helped me!
I was shocked to see the ESOL questions, (I didn't fret b/c I taught ESOL) and the questions about Russian authors (whose name I can't pronounce or remember!). I believe it is those questions about the Russian authors that keep tripping me up! Also, each time I've taken the test, the first 2 or 3 questions are just like the ones on the practice test about word orgin or meaning (e.g. is this word a result of geograhical, cultural, etc).
You MUST know, literary and poetry elements/device, teaching strategies (e.g. when to use a Vinn diagram, ect), grammar correction (they WILL ask you about 5 questions like, "which sentence has an error in it?").
Sadly , that's all I remember now. I have read both review books (Xam and the Florida FTCE English 6-12 (REA) book), also, I've gone to 3 study sessions the school district puts on for free, taught by experienced English teachers, I don't regret it, b/c I have peace knowing I've done everything I could. I'm sad this is costing me almost $1000 to do, but I'll stay focused on the BIG picture! ;-)
I wish you all well!