RAndom questions

>

nickelbackfan

RAndom questions
Old 09-05-2015, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you take grades on timed tests?

On anything fluency wise?

Do you read tests to the students? If you do, when do you stop? Midyear?

nickelbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote

nickelbackfan

fluency
Old 09-05-2015, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I meant...take grades on anything fluency?
nickelbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Fluency questions
Old 09-05-2015, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you talking about math or reading? For reading I do use the data for grades. I will choose two passages towards the last nine weeks of each quarter and to a timed/accuracy count, also taking into consideration each student's comprehension of the passage.
Regarding math fact fluency, I realize I have done about the same thing although I am moving away from the timed test this year. I will try to meet with each student and take note of the strategies used. It is hard to get away from the fast = fluency mentality, but being able to use strategies effectively is more important and shows depth of understanding.

At the beginning of the year I do read the reading tests out loud but I pull back from that quickly, the first quarter. After that, for math and reading tests I will project them and read through the questions before handing it out. For reading, I stop reading them out loud because if a student can read a grade level story, he/she should be able to read the test. I will always assist a student struggling with a word.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

loo

Old 09-05-2015, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do not grade math timed tests. For me, it isn't about the speed a student can add or subtract, but if they are using the strategies I have taught them. I do use end of the trimester reading fluency tests as a grade. I typically read tests to my students until about mid year. Last year though I read the tests almost all year. I had a really low class last year. I had too many students that were low readers. I had too many to pull to a back table to read to them, so I just read to the class. If they were able, they could move on without me.
loo is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Timed tests
Old 09-09-2015, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do take grades on timed math fact drills. I actually take two grades and average them, then record the average. The first grade is for the problems completed before the timer went off. Then I have them complete the page using a colored pencil, then grade the entire page. Then I average those two grades.

tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

ritabook2

random answers
Old 09-13-2015, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't grade anything related to fluency, but use the data to inform my instruction. So, for math we do Rocket Math and they are working on their own individual level. I record the date that they master a level and that shows me if they are stalling out and may need some help or if they are clearly fluent and need to be challenged. For reading, I use it as a tool to see if they are making progress and I graph their WPM on a weekly basis. This year, they will color their own graphs, and I only use this for my intervention students as I don't think I need to be testing the fluency of readers who are already fluent!

I do not read tests in math or reading to students. I always help with words as needed. AR is big in my district and they are very accustomed to reading questions and answers on the computer so I feel they should be able to do the same on a written test. I go over general directions at the beginning. I do clarify sometimes if I think the directions are tricky or a question is worded in a way that could be confusing.
ritabook2 is offline   Reply With Quote