I just realized I'm being mansplained too... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I just realized I'm being mansplained too...

>

MKat

I just realized I'm being mansplained too...
Old 10-04-2021, 06:56 PM

And "little sistered" as well.

I have two older siblings and live the furthest away, but am in charge of our parents care and finances. Dad passed away recently so I've been very busy.

I notify my sibs every step of the way and big brother tries to give me advice after the fact, telling me how I should do what I've already done. I thought I was just being "little sistered," which is really annoying since I have to do this because no one else is willing or able. Proteacher has been eye opening today. Mansplaining feels very apt.

I'm wondering about other terms for this phenomenon. "Little sistered" doesn't seem quite right. And what if women are doing it? Is there "womensplaining?" Someone being condescending doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 10-04-2021, 11:15 PM

I have 3 older sisters--I know EXACTLY what you're saying. My oldest sister is the most guilty of this Sisplaining (?). I quite like the term "little sistered".
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 10-05-2021, 04:42 AM

I have a brother who can "little sister" me over the smallest thing. Other things he won't even go into because he thinks I won't get it. (I use this to my advantage)
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 10-05-2021, 06:37 AM

Ha! My brother is the CEO of a large company. He's used to being in charge and running things.

He will continually give directives to me and my sisters regarding our parents, as if we are his administrative assistants. It is "mansplaining" with a heavy scoop of bossiness. He doesn't even realize he does this- in the corporate world, it is just how he functions with many employees. (Newsflash- I'm not your employee, brother).

Of course, he doesn't actually have the time or availability to complete these suggestions himself - just to direct his sisters to do them!

I can't even come up with a term for this, because everything I think of is too snarky!
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 10-05-2021, 04:14 PM

I feel so heard!

MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-05-2021, 05:39 PM

Some of the new, really young, workers are explaining things to me like Im too old to understand all these new teaching techniques and technologies.

Im not sure what kind of explaining theyre doing, but Im just trying to avoid being passive aggressive about it.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote