Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Piggyback to piggyback ;) Houses

>

WordFountain

Piggyback to piggyback ;) Houses
Old 11-30-2021, 06:32 AM

Previous threads had me thinking. If you were moving at this current time in your life would you buy a home that required renovation / updating (more than the simple painting/ “making it your own”), or would you want a more “turn key” move-in ready home?

My DH and I bought our first and only home about 12 years ago. It was a short sale and a modest fixer upper. We’ve done a lot of improvements over the years but the list is never ending.

If we move I want turn key. Updated things like roof, furnace, central air, etc. I don’t mind some minor painting, updating to make it our own but these needed repairs/renovations are just too much. I’m so over it

How about you? Anyone care to share?

WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-30-2021, 07:14 AM

For me, there is no such thing as “turnkey” because I don’t have the same taste and/or needs as the builder/seller. Whenever we moved to a new place, we always had work to do. When we were young and poor, we did the work ourselves. Now I hire contractors.

I bought this condo 3 years ago. Most of it needed work and I bought it with that understanding. I sold our family house for more than I paid for the condo, so I knew I could afford renovations (some major, some minor). That is to say, I planned to remodel.

I did not do it in bits and pieces. My only stipulations were that I have a bed to sleep in and 1 of the bathrooms was always working. It was a huge project and I had no kitchen for 5 weeks (the refrigerator and microwave were in the living room).

Although I love remodeling, for me, protracted disruption is not fun (like it was when we were young), so I’m very glad I did it all at once. I did not choose colors, finishes, appliances, fittings/fixtures, etc., because I think they’ll please others; I chose what I like and what fits with my current lifestyle.

So, though thoroughly updated, I still wouldn’t call my home “turnkey” because you might not like it even though it’s perfect for me and makes me happy every day.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

buying a house
Old 11-30-2021, 07:50 AM

If you look, you may find what you need and want and only have to do minor things such as paint color preferences. But with everything going on with the supply chain mess, prices of lumber, etc. and fewer workers in the trades, I would be very leary of launching any major renovation projects.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-30-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
But with everything going on with the supply chain mess, prices of lumber, etc. and fewer workers in the trades, I would be very leery of launching any major renovation projects.
That’s a really good point. I remodeled before the pandemic.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 11-30-2021, 08:25 AM

Our first home was WWII era. Cute, solidly built, and needed work. Our 2nd and 3rd homes were both brand new but we did every inch of outside work ourselves- irrigation, drainage, patios, fences, out buildings, and landscaping.

If we were ever to move and buy again, I don’t want to do anything but hang curtains and tell the painter and landscaper what I want done.

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-30-2021, 09:02 AM

Turn key homes go very quickly around here .Usually you don't even see the for sale sign We always bought homes that needed work within highly desired neighborhoods. But I'm tired of it now and hope we can land in a turn key home in a few years. Homes that need work are a great investment and a perfect way to save money if you can put up with renovation hassles. Pre-pandemic hunting for trustworthy workers was very tough. You need a lot of patience. I'm guessing this problem varies though depending on where you live.

Last edited by anna; 11-30-2021 at 11:51 AM..
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 11-30-2021, 11:33 AM

I would want a turn key home. I don't want to go through the whole remodeling chaos. We need to do some stuff to our house and it's hard to even get people to come give an estimate right now.

Last edited by annie_g; 11-30-2021 at 12:34 PM..
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

houses
Old 11-30-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
We need to do some stuff to our house and it's hard to even get people to come give an estimate right now.
We've been dealing with this for a couple of years now. I know covid has made it worse but it's always been hard dealing with contractors. I thought it would be great to get to the point we could hire people to do the work we've always done ourselves but turns out that's just a new set of problems.

In my experience just owning a home means the list is never ending We bought a brand new house once, picked all the finishes, everything exactly the way we wanted it. And then we lived in it for 25 years so at some point almost everything had to be redone--remodeled kitchen, bathroom, floors, new furnace/ac, new roof.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 11-30-2021, 12:25 PM

This house was our fixer upper and in the 11 years we've owned it, we've done a lot. We love it, and have no plans to move.

However, we are in our 60s and, if we did move, it would be to somewhere that was "move in ready".
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 11-30-2021, 02:47 PM

Our first & second home needed remodeling! Gutted house 2!

This house was brand new 22 years ago. Last year we got a new roof and new heat/ac unit. After the holidays we are redoing main floor…paint, refinish hardwood floors and cabinets, add hardwood to bedroom, gut bathroom, new blinds, lighting, furniture. Eeek! My pocketbook is on fire!

Upstairs has been done, except for flooring. We’ll do that next year!

Then we’ll be good for another 20 years!!😂

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-30-2021, 03:17 PM

My townhouse didn't really need anything when I moved in. I do not envy my friends who bought fixer uppers. I can't imagine the stress and work. There are cosmetic things that I'd like to change, but nothing that's absolutely necessary or crazy outdated or anything like that.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

turn-key or renovate
Old 11-30-2021, 04:31 PM

Where I live, the market has gone crazy. If you are trying to buy a house or condo, unless you are a multi-millionaire, you will have to jump on whatever is available. My cousin and his wife have been trying to buy their first condo, and at first they had all sorts of stipulations. They quickly realized that there wasn't any turn key for them at their price level. Even the modest fixer uppers they are looking at may not be available to them unless they outbid others.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 11-30-2021, 05:49 PM

I would definitely want a turn key house. I bought this as a short sale and have redone completely one bathroom, 1/2 of the other bathroom, new counters in the kitchen and new appliances, new front window, new fireplace mantle, and all new 6 panel doors on every interior door. Big pain in the butt. I still need to paint and one day redo the flooring. Wait! I'm not moving!
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 11-30-2021, 07:08 PM

Turn key

Our first house was an outdated fixer upper with good bones. We had grand ideas and quickly realized we aren't those people and it takes too much time and money.

Our current house needed nothing. There's a few things I'd change, but they don't need to be done. It's so nice. We bought for location, but love that nothing needed to be done.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

turnkey
Old 11-30-2021, 07:19 PM

I've bought many houses through the years and I'd much rather go into one that's ready to go. It's very time-consuming and costly to renovate a house. Plus, I have a hard time making a decision, so all the thousands of decisions (paint color, faucets, etc...) really wear on me.

Also, if it needs renovations, chances are the mechanical parts (a.c., appliances, plumbing, etc...) will be needing repairs sooner than later, also.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-30-2021, 08:20 PM

I'd want a turnkey home. We have owned 3 homes so far, and I know myself. We don't do a lot to homes. I've always been a "make do" kind of person, so I make do with what is there. We will sometimes make smaller changes, but not major renovations. When we sold our prior house, we put in new flooring in several rooms. Wish we'd done that originally, but I made do with a plywood floor (long story) for the time we were in there.

Our current house was newly remodeled prior to us moving in. All the choices weren't necessarily the same as what I would have chosen, but I love it and am very happy with it.

For me, turnkey is I do nothing. Which is probably what I'm going to do unless there is a safety/habitability issue
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Houses
Old 11-30-2021, 10:51 PM

When I bought my current home two years ago, it was a remodel and sold as turnkey. It had new floors, new kitchen, new baths, new light fixtures, all new stainless steel kitchen appliances, etc., plus it had been freshly painted inside and out. It looked like nothing more needed to be done but, believe me, I have done plenty more!

Since moving here I had the tile roof redone, replaced and highly upgraded the entire HVAC system, changed all the old dual pane windows for new more energy efficient and sound resistant windows and sliders, added a covered side patio, and had the back yard professionally landscaped, among other things. This is my retirement home, and I don’t plan to move. I love this house and it’s location.

I think it always takes some work to get a house just the way you want it, even a brand new or “completely remodeled” house. To me, that’s part of the fun!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 12-01-2021, 08:24 AM

Thanks Everyone for sharing. Great points were made

Quote:
I think it always takes some work to get a house just the way you want it, even a brand new or “completely remodeled” house. To me, that’s part of the fun!
I agree with this. Another PP said something along the lines of “being a homeowner requires updating, maintenance, etc”. I agree with that too It’s just some days I’m just over the seemingly endless list. It’s those days that I’m like “if we ever move…”.

Like many others the housing market is so ridiculous in our area. Even though we could get a pretty good return on our investment if we sold, there’s nothing that’s worth our moving that we could afford. It actually makes more sense to continue to update, renovate, & love our home without selling.

Thanks again for sharing. I appreciate hearing (reading ) others experiences & opinions.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 12-01-2021, 01:04 PM

Our first house was a fixer that we lived in while doing the fixing, so our second house was turn key! We definitely made some changes over the years to make it our own, but nothing needed "fixing."

If we moved now, We've moved up the housing chain enough that we might get a fixer but do the big fixes before we moved in.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote