Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Classroom Library Organization

>

Hpylife

Classroom Library Organization
Old 05-10-2018, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all, Questions about managing your classroom library.
I have a library of books in my classroom for independent reading.
Right now, they are not labeled, but they are in sections for fiction/non and then further organized by separate bins for topics.

This summer my goal is to label/organize them.
I'm torn on how to do this.
I was thinking of doing it by Lexile number.....but then that mixes up the books and you may have different authors/ different topics all in one bin. But if I don't organize by lexile, it will be hard for students to pick out a just right book they are capable of reading/comprehending. I was thinking by genre and possibly also have a color coded sticker on it that would equal the level so they could easily see if it would be a good choice?

I have seen TONS of pinterest pics and online classroom libraries, but I am looking for some real world type suggestions and not something just done to look pretty for the camera.
Thanks in advance!!!

Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Classroom library
Old 05-11-2018, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For independent reading in first grade I have 3 different groups of books:

Labeled with green sticker, easiest books both fiction and nonfiction. These probably are levels A to D, but they are not leveled

Next group has red sticker, somewhat harder , maybe E to H. Not leveled, just a range.

Last group has a blue sticker. These are higher level picture books and chapter books. Junie B and Magic tree house have their own baskets with blue labels.

I got this system from someone else and it has worked very well for my classes.

I put out 3 baskets of each colored sticker at beginning of year, or sometimes more green.

I store extras in clear bins with good lids and change them out after several weeks. By March, all the greens are put away.

Kids pick about 8 of these each week. In beginning of year they have to be taught about good fit or just right books.

In addition to the 3 categories, I have basket of I Spy books, Franklin books, those predator vs predator books. Other big bins of math books, social studies books, and science books. These are used for kids to pick two “looking at” books for their box each week.

They have 1-2 guided reading books that are at their instructional level in a bag that is kept in their box too.

Hope this helps.

I keep all of my read aloud books on higher shelf away from kids, but let them look at them after I read to class. All I use for mentor texts are in separate bin too. Holiday and seasonal books are brought out and are stored in the big clear bins. Right now, I have spring books available and insect books in another bin. I put out lots of ocean books in June. Many of these are hardcover “looking at” books.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8Profession

Library
Old 05-14-2018, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I keep all my classroom library books in tubs by subject, author, or type. There are tubs for insects, mammals, friendship, Mo Willems, rhyming books, etc. Each tub has a sticker and each book has a matching sticker. It was a pain to set up at first but I love how the kids can find books they are interested in. We spend lots of time working on selecting just right books. It isn't a perfect system, but I am often pleased at how students can read higher levels when they are very interested or have a great deal of schema on a subject.

In their reading tubs they need to have mostly just right books, one hard book, and their poems. If I find that students aren't making good choices, I will work with them to find better books. Most students do ok after they realize I check what they have in their book box.
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 05-14-2018, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

thanks for the advice!!
Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Library
Old 05-15-2018, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sorted all books into three categories:
Fiction
Nonfiction
Series

Then leveled as many of the books as possible and put them in tubs by levels.
Each genre was placed in a different section of the room. When we got to series reading, half the bins were in a bookshelf and the rest were just lined up on the floor.

Anything that couldn't be leveled went into subject bins and into another bookshelf. This ended up being mostly nonfiction books. These were used for free reading.

Over the years, I managed to collect a ton of books....not exaggerating: I probably had 3,000 books in my room.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

varkgirl

genre/topic
Old 05-29-2018, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have mine organized by genre (colored bins by genre) and then more specific topic within each genre using these labels: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...assroom-768205
varkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote