Help

BusyBoard

from 4th to 2nd

>

tiredgal

from 4th to 2nd
Old 04-14-2019, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My daughter just called to tell me her principal just emailed her to tell her she will be moved to second grade in the fall. This is my daughter's 3rd year of teaching fourth grade and she is really upset. She has never wanted to teach a grade lower than 4th. I don't know what to say to her. She is on her way to our house now. She said the email said "I looked at the class list and decided to move you (instead of the other fourth grade teacher)." I don't teach regular ed and I am not exactly sure what to say. Any thoughts?

tiredgal is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Switching Grades
Old 04-14-2019, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was switched from 5th grade to 2nd grade after my first year of teaching. I wasn't delighted, but it worked out just fine. I ended up liking second grade a lot.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

4th to 2nd
Old 04-14-2019, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For me, the frustrating point would have been not being a part of the decision making process.

I went from K to 2nd and at the same time my new partner came from 5th to second. We loved it because you can do a lot with second graders and they still love and respect you.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-14-2019, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I moved to 4th and thought Id hate it and ended up loving it. Id tell her to go in with an open mind mind. I dont know know anyone whos taught 2nd and hasnt loved it. Its a non-testing grade, they come in young and leave independent.

I actually think shes going to love it.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

I agree!
Old 04-14-2019, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I cried when I was moved to 2nd grade. However, I am continually amazed by the capacity of a second grader to learn! Now I love second grade and I hope your daughter will too!

Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Moving down from fourth grade to 2nd grade
Old 04-14-2019, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

After teaching fourth grade for exactly 20 years, I was asked to move down to second grade. I was very hesitant and unsure but did move.

The last five years I taught full-time were in second grade and I absolutely loved it. Teachers always notice growth from the beginning of the year to the end of the year, but I was amazed at how much second graders mature and grow academically.

They come in like first graders at the beginning of the year and are not independent at all. By the end of the year it is just surprising how much they can do. They still love their teacher, are eager to please, and work hard.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 04-14-2019, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know nobody likes these unexpected surprises. The reality is a principal can put you anywhere they like within your certification. Depending on the laws in your state, they can even put you where you are not certified! I say embrace the change. It can be a good thing. BTW - I taught second for 12 years. IMO it is the BEST grade!
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

2nd grade
Old 04-14-2019, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I taught 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. 2nd is by far my absolute favorite grade to teach. I know it doesn't feel like that now, but she may end up loving it. I didn't realize how much I was going to love it until I was there.

It's never fun to be moved, so it's always frustrating at first. The hardest part for me was just moving classrooms.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 04-15-2019, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Agreed! I taught 2nd for 9 years, and have been in 3rd for 2 years. She will love not being in a testing grade. Most are still really enthusiastic about school. I'm moving to ESOL next year, and I'm hoping to be back with 2nd :P
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote