Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Advice/Feedback on Teaching Demo Idea

>

Meems

Advice/Feedback on Teaching Demo Idea
Old 03-21-2018, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an upcoming interview and demo for a teaching residency and I'm scrambling for ideas. They want me to teach their Early Education class, so there'll be anywhere from preschool-kindergarten kiddos in there (I always imagined being a better fit for 4-6th, frankly). And I could have from 9-18 kids. I have about 20 minutes. I haven't taught this age yet, so I'm not sure what's appropriate.

My current idea is to do a worm lesson. I found a non-fiction book about worms that's short and simple with sweet illustrations. I was going to read that and then hide fake fishing bait worms in bins of dried beans and have the kids search for them with oversized plastic tweezers. I have the Tiny Dot game and was going to put the kids in pairs and have them take turns: 1. turning over the cards to reveal either a number or number of dots and 2. fishing out that number of worms from the bin. I figured it was a fun sensory experience, used fine motor skills, taking turns, and required counting several times.

I foresee a couple of challenges. 1. Having enough bins and beans so that everyone can have a spot (especially if I have the full 18 - wish I knew). 2. The kids getting so distracted about how cool the worms feel and what they do that they won't do anything else in that short amount of time (they're cool and wiggly and stretch, etc...worms could fly across the room). 3. My not being able to circulate around enough by myself to make sure everyone understands the game.

Is this idea too complicated? Should I find a longer, fun read aloud and just focus on an activity that's easier and that doesn't involve so much STUFF? And if so, what would you suggest? Another idea I'd had was to do greedy gator "greater than/less than" symbols that could "eat" larger of two groups of counters/numbers, but I got nervous because greater than/less than isn't on the Kindergarten common core - not until first grade. AND then I also wouldn't have a fun read aloud.

Any suggestions? I have tons of fun read alouds that I'm very familiar with. I just wanted to get them moving and couldn't think of an activity to GO with a book. Grateful for any feedback!

Meems is offline   Reply With Quote

kristeacher

worm habitat
Old 04-02-2018, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What I did many many years ago, is we created a worm habitat. We took a large plastic transparent cylinder and added layers - leaves, dirt etc.. and then added the worms. They can then watch the worms in their new home. You can talk about habitats and what the worm needs to live. This can stay in the classroom.
kristeacher is offline   Reply With Quote