Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Must have classroom jobs!

>

chasey

Must have classroom jobs!
Old 06-09-2018, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm moving down to Prek-3 it will be with a max of 12 kids. What are the go to/ must have jobs? I'm thinking one a week. Change them out each week. Sound good? I have:
*Line Leader
*Door Holder/ closer
*Calendar
*Snack helper
*nap mat helper
*supply manager
*caboose
Thanks in advance

chasey is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Jobs
Old 06-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught K and first for many years and it took so much time each week choosing kids for jobs. I had lists and then trying to fairly distribute jobs was a pain. I then went with one helper for the entire week who did everything. If two people were needed then the next one on the list got to help. It worked out so wonderfully. The parents commented that their child totally enjoyed their week. At the end of the school year I rotated the helper to a new one each day.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Jobs
Old 06-09-2018, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There's enough craziness at this grade level, don't create more. I tried new jobs every day, once a week, then every other week. I just couldn't keep up,, and if someone was out sick or on vacation, my schedule was all messed up.

I eventually settled on the a daily line leader. They got to do everything. If they needed an assistant or two, they could choose who would help. This way everyone got to be the superstar several times during the year.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I like having lots of jobs
Old 06-09-2018, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I actually try to have jobs for every kid, including 2 alternates that take jobs for those who are absent. I rotate jobs every week. It's super easy. I have a helper chart and I rotate the names to the right every Friday afternoon. One job I can't do without is a telephone operator. Our phones ring 4 times and then go to voicemail. I have one child who answers the phone and says, "Mrs. _______'s class, please hold." And they hold the phone until I can get from my reading table, through all of the kids who are doing centers, over to the phone.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 06-09-2018, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Not in Pre-K, but I do have some K experience.

I tried the everyone has a job thing. It was so much to keep up with. I went to three classroom jobs: Line Leader, Helper (who was also always the 2nd person in line to hold doors), and Caboose (close door/turn off lights). These went alphabetical and changed daily. They just moved up a job each day, so they were a helper of some sort for three days in a row.

Another thing that helped was daily table captains. Each day each table had a helper (who also could've been a classroom helper that day. I didn't try to work for or around that). It just rotated through the table. That person got supplies, made sure the table was clean at certain points, threw away trash, etc.

So for example, the helpers might be:

Monday
Line Leader: Sarah A.
Helper: Ryan B.
Caboose: Jane C.

Tuesday
Line Leader: Ryan B.
Helper: Jane C.
Caboose: Donald D.

Wednesday
Line Leader: Jane C.
Helper: Donald D.
Caboose: Casey E.

TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

lovelife07

Old 06-11-2018, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Totally on board with many of you! I do a helper each day and if I need two or more students to help the helper I allow the helper for that day to choose someone to help them. But they have to choose someone "doing the right thing". This has been the best way for me to do it so far!
lovelife07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Jobs
Old 06-11-2018, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
One job I can't do without is a telephone operator. Our phones ring 4 times and then go to voicemail. I have one child who answers the phone and says, "Mrs. _______'s class, please hold." And they hold the phone until I can get from my reading table, through all of the kids who are doing centers, over to the phone.
So cute!.....
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Jobs
Old 06-11-2018, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I donít do classroom jobs. I have a daily helper and that is it. As for picking the helper, it is simply done in ABC order on rotations. Keep it simple and save yourself a headache.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

bellringer

another view
Old 06-17-2018, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I like to have a job for each student each week. I post them in alphabetical order by first name (my preferred way of organizing my students) and then just rotate one position each week. (Note that if there are two students on one job, each one has the job for two weeks; one week with the student's name before them and one week with the student after). I don't really find it a bother. And if I forget to rotate, the first one to check the jobs board on Monday morning always reminds me!

My classroom jobs are: pledge leader, menu reader, messenger, meteorologist, calendar helper, line leaders (2), line cabooses (2), librarians (2), break helpers (2 - retrieve and return the milk tub and the snack tub at snack time), news reporters (2 or 3, write the week's news on a poster board for outside our classroom), paper passers (2), on vacation (varies, depending on the number of students I have in the class), substitute (to fill in for any missing job...an extremely important job, especially during the cold and flu season!).

My current jobs board has the jobs on lily pads and student names on frogs, taped on the board. I simply remove the last name and then move each frog down one position.
bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Love4learners

Old 06-19-2018, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Love this!

Love4learners is offline   Reply With Quote

Love4learners

Old 06-19-2018, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have a job for every student in my class and we switch jobs once a month, at the beginning of each month. This has worked well for me, and the kids were really responsible. I think it became habit. Some jobs had two students who were responsible.
Love4learners is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 07-06-2018, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have never done classroom jobs. I have one helper each week. A blog I follow (ateenytinyteacher.com) has a freebie called Teacher's Pet. I have used it for years and love it.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Jobs
Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I gave up on classroom jobs years ago. I talk a LOT at the start of the year about how to keep the room neat and orderly (everything has a place). I found that if we all pitch in together, it goes much more smoothly. I found when I had a floor cleaner, for example, kids stopped picking up the floor because the person with the job would do it.

I love having a classroom where we are all responsible for everything.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

chasey

Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks everyone!! I'm still so busy/worried about trying to get my class in order, I'll think about this later! lol I think changing at least every week might be a better idea. One less thing for me each day!
chasey is offline   Reply With Quote

bodes12

1 kid
Old 07-29-2018, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I pick a leader of the day instead, and that makes my life so much easier. At the beginning of the year I'll have them draw a self portrait then I'll write their names, then I'll put them on the walls. I got down the line every day and pick my leader that way so everyone has a turn. The leader of the day is in charge of everything I need.

They can't wait till it's their turn to be the leader
bodes12 is offline   Reply With Quote