Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Messy work

>

Teachercat2

Messy work
Old 11-08-2018, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a question for all the early childhood teachers. I was a teacher for a long time mostly teaching K-2 regular and special ed. In the schools I taught in (and in my classroom), neatness/effort mattered!! If a student had clearly rushed or their work was illegible I would make them redo it, yes even in Kinder. If I knew a child had fine motor issues there may have been some leniency.
Now I have my own child in kindergarten in a school district that seems very old fashioned I guess, than my old district. My daughter brings home work that is extremely messy!! It concerns me as to what she is doing in the classroom, I know writing/drawing is not her best thing but she can definitely do better. Would you speak to her teacher about making her do a better job on her work? Ive already talked to my daughter as nicely as I can, reminding her to try her best on her work at school. But I have not seen any improvement.
I guess my other question is when would you ask to have your child evaluated for OT? As I have taught K, her skills are way below other students in terms of forming letters/drawing, but she has no trouble zipping zippers or threading beads... so I'm confused what it is she is truly having a hard time with. Thanks for your help!

Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Messy
Old 11-14-2018, 03:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would definitely have a conversation with your daughter's teacher about where your daughter is at compared to other students in her class.

Kids fine motor skills in general are inferior compared to kids even 5-10 years ago. iPads! Not saying this is the reason for your own daughter, but many kids spend so much time on devices that there's not much left over for drawing, coloring, creating.

Interesting that she finds threading easy. How does she go with stencilled drawings, cutting on a line, tracing etc.? You said she can do better...does that mean that when she writes for you at home, it is much neater? If so, I'd look at what might be different at home vs. school. Is she easily distracted in the classroom, or in a different position, or motivated to finish quickly so she can get to free play or another activity she enjoys? etc.

At the end of the day, they are still so little in kinder. I expect my kids to do their best but it is truly so different for each one. I have two kids who write beautifully, with lovelier handwriting than mine tbh. I have another whose writing (we're nearly at the end of the year in Aus) is only just becoming legible, and even there she can write about ONE legible word before it becomes basically a scribble. Another little boy took 6 months to learn to write letters on a line. His writing is still messy but he has come so far. I definitely adjust my expectations based on the student. And if a kid was producing writing at home that was tidier than what I'd seen at school, I would want to know!

Good luck figuring it out.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-14-2018, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In addition to the above comments, I would also say that you could have her redo some of the work in nice neat handwriting and share it with the teacher so she knows what your child is capable of doing.

In 3rd, sometimes kids are definitely more capable of the work they turn in, but I don't have time to sit with them every time they work in order to make it look nice. I do have parents who sometimes make kids finish or redo things for neatness and I appreciate it. It isn't what their child does independently, but it shows the child that they are able to do it that way.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote