Help

The VENT

Lazy is not the same as bored

>

Kinderkr4zy

Lazy is not the same as bored
Old 04-11-2019, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

my co-worker got a parent email today that had her in tears and I was perplexed by the complaints.

1. How is being too lazy to do the minimum work required an issue of boredom. Students had their choice in how they presented their research, who he would research and how to present the information...he didn't do it and sat around and socialized. that's not boredom honey, that's laziness.

2. The teacher asks to check in on how his work is coming and he lies and says its nearly done, and then totally done, but he left it at home... In reality he never did it. Again, this isnt boredom, this is a case of "I dont feel like doing work so I'll get away with doing nothing and rather then ask for help, clarification, or options to integrate the assignment with an area of interest I'll lie so I dont have to do anything"-LAZY not bored

3. Since when is everything we do supposed to be entertaining? Guess what, you may find writing "boring" but its still a standard for our grade. You can pick the topic, you can add illustrations when you're done, and you can even build something from the stem shelf as a model to go with your writing-but you still have to do it. "I'm bored" isnt this issue, the issue is "I'm lazy" when you cant get past the "work" to get to the entertainment.

4. This is simply an attempt to put ones own lack of effort on someone else to avoid the consequences of his actions. Its also the lazy way to deal with your troubles...see the pattern here

I mean...Hello...were you born yesterday mom? But then again...blaming teachers for our kids lack ff work ethic rather than helping our kids learn to follow through and experience consequences is also...LAZY PARENTING...so maybe the apple didnt fall too far from the tree. After all, falling farther might have been more effort.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 04-11-2019 at 08:11 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The boredom complaint is one of my hot buttons. I'm right with you on this one.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Lazy, not bored
Old 04-11-2019, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I totally agree with you. And I especially like your last comment about the probable reason for the apple not having fallen far from the tree. So true!
Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 04-11-2019, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Bored or lazy, take your pick. Either way, the kid knew what he was supposed to do and didn't do it. His "boredom" earned him an F. Was the rest of the class just as "bored"? I doubt it. This mom is not doing her kid any favors.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

ďYou donít know what bored is.Ē
Old 04-12-2019, 01:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I get the occasional parent (and students) complain of this. I tell the parents the children donít understand what bored means, and use when they donít feel like doing something. I wonít give enrichment if they donít show the grade level expectations.

However, if I just said they were being lazy, Iíd save a lot of time. You nailed it!

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

This is a hot button topic for me too
Old 04-12-2019, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had someone tried to give me that line a few years ago about a small group of students I had. I was actually still a new teacher and they were taking advantage of that. Never did any work and did everything they could to derail the lesson.

I remember talking about them to another teacher and saying "of course they're bored because they never do anything."

I hope your coworker is doing okay despite all of this. Parents seem to know that teachers in general are very compassionate people and I think take advantage of this by emotionally manipulating us.
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Ugh
Old 04-12-2019, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Glad.to.be.retired.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-12-2019, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My papa used to say, "Only boring people are ever bored." A common refrain here is, "Well, the work is beneath him/her, so s/he is bored." I tell parents truly gifted kids tend to find ways to make assignments more challenging.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-12-2019, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
My papa used to say, "Only boring people are ever bored." A common refrain here is, "Well, the work is beneath him/her, so s/he is bored." I tell parents truly gifted kids tend to find ways to make assignments more challenging.
I could have written this exactly except it was my mom who said that. Education isn’t just about filling out rote worksheets anymore. The “he’s bored” refrain doesn’t fly.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-12-2019, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

And so what if the kid is bored? I don't find cleaning the bathroom particularly exciting, but I have to do it.

WalkDon'tRun

WalkDon'tRun

Old 04-12-2019, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What the heck parents these days! Demanding we entertain their children all the darn time. How about just doing the darn activity, project and etc. The excuse my child is bore is nothing else but an excuse. Administration demanding that you hone lessons to students interests and motivations. It is just another way to blame the teacher if the lesson goes wrong. Let me tell you if some of my students had their ways and I had to hone my lessons based on their interests, I would be writing lessons about video games, sex, obscene words, violence. This is where their real interest lies in. We teachers at a blame for some of this. When, are we going to put the responsibility back on the "child" where it rightfully belongs. Why do we teachers accept and end up teaching manners instead of our subject. If a student can't control himself in the classroom that child should be expel or remove immediately. Why do we accept these conditions. Why we not demand parents be put in jail when their child truancy is not taken care of. The same way they come marching through our classrooms when they think their child is not having fun. We are doing this to ourselves. Our need to feel like a saint or angel is setting precedents for our professions. We are no longer professionals, we are babysitters that are supposed to give only love, rewards, teach manners, morals and behavior. Why a teacher is hold accountable to a higher standard than a parent.

No my job is not a babysitter. I am not a prison guard. I am not a police officer. I am not the nurse, I am not a psychiatrist, I am not the maid. I.am.the.d@mn.teacher. I don't teach manners. I teach my subject. I am done with having to ignore the ones who come ready to learn and give my attention to the one that don't. It is not fair! We all know it. I am making arrangements in my class and do what I use to think was immoral. I will teach the ones who want to learn and let the chips fall where they may.

Countingdown

Old 04-12-2019, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I had a parent once tell me the reason her son misbehaved in my class was because he was bored with the work I gave him. I told her that you had to attempt something first before you were bored with it.
Countingdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

Boredom
Old 04-12-2019, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
Marriedin79 is offline   Reply With Quote

juligroovi

I love giving parents solutions.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm sorry your child is bored.
Every week we are going to start having a homework project.
Your child can research a subject they are excited and curious about!
Make a poster with 10 facts and present (every Friday or once a month, whatever).
Oh? You don't like working on something that interests you either?
So sorry about that. Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Oh, and I'm sorry but we will still have to keep working on those required state standards in class! But I'm glad he won't be bored- he can think about what he wants to research! Make sure to do a really great job on that poster!
juligroovi is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

It's really simple
Old 04-13-2019, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

If a kid is truly gifted and that far ahead of the game that he or she is bored rather than lazy, the child will be dominating assignments with zero effort. If the kid isn't knocking every assignment out of the park with minimal effort, they're lazy, and the parents are fooling themselves. That's less than 1% of kids. Period; end of story.

I blame this on the Steve Jobs/Bill Gates archetype that's easily accessible: "they dropped out of college and changed the world." I've even heard this at PD seminars from people who are supposedly pro-formal education. Yeah, they did, but they did enough through the conventional channels to get into Harvard and Stanford, respectively.

The problem with all of this is that adults in management positions at schools will pretend to believe this nonsense sometimes, even though they know better, and it can be used against you to be painted as an "unengaging" teacher.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-13-2019, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The one instance I am on board with "he's bored" is repetitive work. I actually had it written into my kids' IEPs that they get reduced assignments. If a gifted kid got the first 3 math problems right, there is no need for them to do 27 more. They don't need the practice and will lose interest in doing the same thing they've already mastered. Gifted kids need different work, not more work.

Persephone

Old 04-13-2019, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Amen, Sister!

Your post so eloquently expressed what I've experienced.

Thank You!
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 04-13-2019, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

"3. Since when is everything we do supposed to be entertaining? Guess what, you may find writing "boring" but its still a standard for our grade. You can pick the topic, you can add illustrations when you're done, and you can even build something from the stem shelf as a model to go with your writing-but you still have to do it. "I'm bored" isnt this issue, the issue is "I'm lazy" when you cant get past the "work" to get to the entertainment."

That's because we let idiot psychologist dictate how public education is successful due to their inaccurate research and never really been in a classroom.

Have you ever gotten a student from another part of the globe not named North or South America? Learning for them is a discipline. Kids from Asia are great. Odd how in America where there is some stress to learn Spanish while Asian are learning English.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
ShakingMyHead

ShakingMyHead

KiteKrazy
Old 04-13-2019, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
Have you ever gotten a student from another part of the globe not named North or South America?
Lazyness knows no race. It affects Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Latinos, Asians. Yes, Asians too. Asians are smart is a worn out stereotype and is being talked about how much is actually hurting Asian students in the U.S.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 04-13-2019, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I will also point out that the child in question is not GATE. He was tested along with all 2nd graders last year and didn't qualify. The work is not beneath this kid, and there is plenty of choice provided so any kid, GATE or not, can challenge themselves or apply the assignment in a way that connects to their interests-he just isnt doing his work. The work also isnt beneath him either, when he does do his work it is fine but not advanced. That is a case of laziness.
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-13-2019, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

This complaint is a big pet peeve of mine. Not everything is going to be fun and entertaining!

I had a coworker who was constantly making this complaint about her own child (who thankfully, attended another school). The kid kept getting into serious trouble (i.e. destroying materials, extremely disruptive behavior) and coworker was blaming it on the fact that she was smart and that the lesson was beneath her. It was very hard to hold my tongue.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

DeeDee3073

Old 04-15-2019, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
Quote:
Have you ever gotten a student from another part of the globe not named North or South America?
Lazyness knows no race. It affects Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Latinos, Asians. Yes, Asians too. Asians are smart is a worn out stereotype and is being talked about how much is actually hurting Asian students in the U.S.
Thank you! I teach at an international school in China and I can tell you with certainty that laziness, lack of effort, etc. exists in every corner of the globe. lol. It is not confined to "western kids". And, Asians as the "model minority" is harmful to Asian students.
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 04-16-2019, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I agree about different not more work. However, he needs to do those three and show mastery.

Iíve had this argument countless times over the years. Your child needs to show me that they can handle grade level appropriate work before I start challenging him/her with higher level work. I canít just take your word for it Mom/Dad.

OP, thank you for the vent. Iím living it at the moment and knowing the rigor of the grade levels to follow Iím worried about my student. If this childís lack of motivation continues being nurtured under the guise of ďbored,Ē the child is going to suffer the consequences in the years to come. Our middle school teachers do not communicate with each other. This child is going to have to keep up with 7 different teachers potentially with assignments due for all of them in the not to distant future. Sure hope kiddo isnít ďboredĒ then.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote