Help

BusyBoard

Student teacher help

>

soxgirl

Student teacher help
Old 07-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to be having a student teacher in the fall. I would love to come up with a sequential list of responsibilities so I have a plan before she comes. I was thinking of a week by week checklist of what she would be doing. It wouldn't be a specific list, just on what week she would take over/assist/observe what. Does anyone have anything they could share based on past experience with a student teacher?

soxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

middlemac

College sets the pace
Old 07-29-2010, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have had several student teachers in our school from various colleges. Usually the college has the time line all worked out for them. Teacher has to decide what benchmarks they will teach. When I had one....I gave practical ideas on how to start up the classroom, procedures, rules, and behavior management. Give them a checklist.
Thanks...
middlemac is offline   Reply With Quote

dav5fam

Harry Wong
Old 07-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Look up the First Days of School by Harry Wong. It usually gives me plenty of information. You can also look him up on the internet.
dav5fam is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

You should probably wait
Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The college usually has a timeline for the students to follow. Also, you will want to be flexible. If the students teacher takes over math lessons after the first week, then they will never get to see you teach that subject again. I usually find that a couple of weeks trading off subjects works well before allowing the complete takeover of the teaching responsibilities. That way the student teacher can experience teaching the subject, find out what is comfortable or not, and then more purposefully observe you teaching. Each student teacher comes in with different strengths, and one timeline does not work for all.

If you want to prepare, it might be helpful to try pulling together any curriculum guides and/or standards for lesson planning, a calendar or timeline for units of study, and a copy of your teacher's handbook or rules/regulations. On the first day of class I took student pictures and put them together on a single page Word doc, with the kid's names underneath and sent it to the student teacher. When she arrived she already had a head start on learning names.

Last edited by booklady57; 07-29-2010 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: thought of a little bit more
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote