Help

BusyBoard

cassettes to CDs

>

lovetoteach:)

cassettes to CDs
Old 07-29-2010, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone put their books on tape onto CDs...If so could you share how you did it? I have received a ton of books on tape but don't have a tape player- I have CD walkmans....TIA

lovetoteach:) is offline   Reply With Quote

teachlife

Someone has to know!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would also love to know how!!!!!!! It's soooo much easier!
teachlife is offline   Reply With Quote

8GATEACHER

imic for Macintosh Computers will do the job
Old 07-29-2010, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mic allows you to connect microphones and other input devices to your iBook, PowerBook, PowerMac or other Mac or PC systems. All you need is a USB port. iMic supports both mic and line level inputs via a selectable switch, and provides a line-level output for connecting speakers or headphones. It also comes with its own software for importing.
8GATEACHER is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Easy!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you are using a PC, download Audacity (it's free!). You'll need a special cord that has a headphone jack on both ends. I just bought one for my car so I can connect my iPod. It was $7.99 at Best Buy. I don't know why the website has it marked at $9.99.

You're going to plug one end of the cord into the the headphone jack of your stereo (where you have the tape in the tape player). The other end goes into the microphone jack of your computer. Open up Audacity, press play on your stereo and then record on Audacity. Let the tape play all the way through. You should be able to see that it's recording by seeing the waves on Audacity. Press stop on Audacity when the tape stops.

Then you'll need to click File on Audacity, then Export as .wav (I tried .mp3 but it said I needed something else. .wav worked without a problem). A box will will open where you need to choose where you want to save the file. Give the file a name and click Save. Now the file has been saved on your computer. You could go back to the file, (find it through My Computer/My Documents) click on it, and it will play through your media player.

To burn the file to a cd, you'll need to open up your cd burning software, find the file, and burn the cd just like you would do if you were burning a music cd.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need more help!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

seashells

I just got rid of all my tapes!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my efforts to clean out some of the stuff I have not used in the past few years, I just got rid of all of my tapes! Now I could just kick myself! I should have known that PT would have an answer to old technology problems! I will be on the lookout for a way to try this! Thanks for letting us know!

seashells is offline   Reply With Quote

kckrzy

Old 07-29-2010, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for sharing how to do it on a mac. I was my schools librarian for 16 years and built a big listening center library. Now that I'm in the classroom I worry about what will happen with all the tapes and books I'd bought. My school will be open for 1 more year before everyone gets moved to one building. I got moved this year, but will make sure to get the tapes over to cds before they disappear.
kckrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lisateach

Audacity tape to cd question
Old 07-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Socks,
Do you know if you can record a tape with more than one story on it and then separate, or do you have to stop recording after each story?
Lisa
Lisateach is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Audacity
Old 07-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I believe you can split it after you've recorded something but I can't be sure. I'm on my Mac and my Dell is 600 miles away so I can't check for you. I know that if you have a lot of empty space at the end you can cut that off. So, I'd record a story and let a minute or two of the next story play then try to split it. If it works, you can just record the rest of the tape and split each story when it's done. If not, then you know you have to stop it after each one.

Sorry I can't be more helpful with that!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

Love2ndGrdrs

cassette to mp3
Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You can do the same thing that you do with audacity with Garage Band if you have a mac. I haven't done it yet, but I hope to soon! I'll let you know how it goes!
Love2ndGrdrs is offline   Reply With Quote

prec0ci0us

SoundForage
Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I wonder if I could do this with Sound Forage.

My friend is lending me her books on tape as her principal has said that you can only use them in K - 2 (she's third). I would prefer mp3s or CDs to cassettes ANY day!

I am going to have to try this!

Thanks!

prec0ci0us is offline   Reply With Quote

Lisateach

Old 07-29-2010, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for the reply Socks. I downloaded Audacity and couldn't figure out how to separate them so I put it off. With this thread I am determined to get it done. My teenage nephew is visiting me maybe I'll give him the job of figuring it out!
Lisa
Lisateach is offline   Reply With Quote

KdgCop

I did it on Mac ...
Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I did it last summer with my almost 200 cassette tapes and used Garage Band. Each story is its own MP3, so I put them in a folder, then I was able to put all the titles on each MP3 player (I think they're 2Gig). Make sure you have MP3 players with the little window that shows the titles, so the kids can scroll through to find the title they want. My first graders were able to do it easily. I love it!

BTW I want to sell all my cassettes now - I'm thinking $1 each plus shipping so email me if you are interested .....
KdgCop is offline   Reply With Quote

mimi6

cd's
Old 07-30-2010, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm printing these instructions as we speak....Thanks
mimi6 is offline   Reply With Quote

NKOTBFan

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was also wondering how to convert cassette tapes to cd. Can't wait to buy the cable & try it out.
NKOTBFan is offline   Reply With Quote