Help

BusyBoard

Book Orders-How do you do it?

>

Texas K-Girl

Book Orders-How do you do it?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have not done book orders in the last couple of years due to the red tape it involves in my school district. Just wondering how you handle book orders. My school does not like us handling cash (a cash log has to be done and turned in daily which is a PAIN!) and so the last few times when I have tried doing book orders we have to ask for checks written to the book company ONLY!! If they send cash, I have to send it back home. I did see where we can arrange where parents can go online and use credit cards. THat sounds wonderful. So, any suggestions.

Texas K-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 07-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I tried it online last year and it was wonderful!!!!! I didn't have to handle any of the money. I just handed the kids their books when they came in.

Of course, I still handled the cash and checks, too, but if you don't want to do that, you can just make it only available for online. They even have a letter to send to parents explaining it.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

LakeTeacher

Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is VERY easy to set up online ordering for your parents. All you need is an active account. Go to Scholatic (dot) com and follow the directions. You'll choose a username and password that you'll give your parents so they can go online and place their orders. I did this last year and Scholastic was giving a free book choice coupon for every parent online order!

I would suggest giving it a try. You can always discontinue it if it's too much trouble for you.
LakeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tennessee

Old 07-29-2010, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

All of my parents place their book orders online. I get a free book every time a parent makes an order. I have over 30 coupons in free books from one school year. It is so easy and it saves time.
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Book orders
Old 07-29-2010, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A parent always handles this for me. I let parents order on line if they want to (which gets me a free book). The parent does everything including making sure that all of the books get sorted when the order comes in.

Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kckrzy

Old 07-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I ask parents to write checks but if they forget I keep their cash and write a check to cover it. I'm usually ordering anyway so I just make out one check. I have the online ordering too, however, no one has used it.
kckrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Charl

Old 07-29-2010, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I used the online ordering last year and was unsure about it at first, but it was wonderful! It is so easy to do and you can print out a letter to send home explaining it. I had many more orders than other years because they don't have to write a check or send cash. I usually only had 1 or 2 send the payment to me. You will be glad you did it!
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-29-2010, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If kids bring in cash, I write a check for it. I photocopy parents' checks until scholastic posts it as paid - then I shred the copies. One year a co-teacher's checks got lost in the mail and scholastic charged her for it. Of course it was the last order of the school year and the new bill didn't come until the next fall. What a mess that was! If you have copies of the checks, it gives you someone to call.

I wish my parents would order online. Not one did last year, and only one the year before.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

read4riel

Old 07-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I never thought about having a parent do it. That's a great idea.
read4riel is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyBear

On-line is so helpful
Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I never used this option until last year, but it is so helpful to me and the parents. It also gives the class a free book. In order to do it, you have to sign up for parent on-line orders. Then input the order form number each time you do a new order. It is easy though. I also create cards on VistaPrint that that has the parent log-in information and staple the card to the order form. The log-in information is also on our webpage.

DaisyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn4Life146

Old 07-29-2010, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I set up the online ordering but none of my parents used it last year. If they sent in cash, I either wrote a check for it myself or I paid online using my credit card.

We have to log cash turned in for school purposes, but since the book orders are handled only by the teacher, no log is necessary.
Learn4Life146 is offline   Reply With Quote

prec0ci0us

Order
Old 07-29-2010, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have it set up that parents can order online or by sending me in a check. Every so often I will have one or two kids who only order one of the $1 books so I will accept cash for them and write a check out myself as I am usually buying items myself. I LOVE the online option and am hoping to encourage more parents to use it next year. Less hassle for me!
prec0ci0us is offline   Reply With Quote