Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Feel paralyzed

>

Teddi9192

Feel paralyzed
Old 10-15-2013, 05:09 PM

My life seems so far out of my control right now. My house is a mess, school is a mess, my eating is out of control, my kids are in everything and I am primary schlepper. I am having a hard time doing anything that really needs done. If things weren't so crazy I would just crawl into bed and stay there. I feel like I don't even have time to be depressed. I just don't want to be.

I am so done that even though I have my big observation tomorrow and stuff due for my class I am doing nothing because I just don't care. When I stop I just can't start back up. If I think I would probably have a panic attack right on the spot.

Any advice about taking back control?

Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

gammypoo

Teddi
Old 10-15-2013, 05:13 PM

I am feeling the same way. Don't give up! I decided to just do the things I can and the rest will have to wait. Good luck!
gammypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Queenie Peavy

In the boat with you!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:17 PM

Oh Teddi I feel so much like this too! I am very overwhelmed in so many areas of my life so I am probably not the best to offer advice! However, I always seem to feel a little better when I make a list. Just organizing on paper what I need to get done somehow helps me get back on track. Now, I think I need to log off of PT and start on my own list! Good luck!
Queenie
Queenie Peavy is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Sleep
Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 PM

I am also feeling overwhelmed, and have for so very long. My life shows it. The most obvious is that my house is past being a mess and I struggle to do my college work at night. I go to PT when I need to take five and end up spending ten or twenty. When I think about all that needs done, I am also paralyzed. My brain just won't work. All I can think about is what needs done. I also want sleep so badly.

When I can get sleep, I feel a whole lot better. I also find that if I manage to get to bed earlier and get up earlier, then work on my college work, I can focus better. The problem is getting up earlier - I already get up at 5 a.m.

I wish I had better advice than to tell someone who's overwhelmed, I don't sleep, but you go ahead and get some sleep. Seriously though, when I am rested I feel I have the most control.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

maui

Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 PM

Start with one change at a time. Sometimes when I have a lot of things to do I also get the paralized feeling. It helps a lot when I focus on one task at a time because that makes me feel acomplished.Even if its a small change it will help you feel better. Good luck and remember to take deep breaths!!

maui is online now   Reply With Quote

annalilbit

same here
Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 PM

Following this post because I am the same way except the part about kids because mine are grown. Isn't it sad so many of us feel the same way.

I make the list, but I add to the list before any of the others get done. Long list, long anxieties.
annalilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 PM

I'm sorry you are feeling that way. I totally understand. I feel the same way, day after day after day after day after day.

I'm on Fall Break, now. I swear, if I didn't get Fall Break, I'd have a nervous breakdown. I was close to one on Friday. I have a list a mile long, though.

I, too, feel paralyzed with my life. It makes me really, really want to quit teaching. Life should not be this way. I blame teaching. I really do. Sure, some can handle it (and obviously do), but for many, it is a life of chaos.

Right now, my house is 'somewhat' clean because we are getting things done for the holidays (new carpet, flooring, etc.). I have just stuffed things in the basement, though.

Last April, I started having chest pains. I'm getting them again.

Wish I knew the answer. I'm not sure there is one, honestly.
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

csb/5th

I agree!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 PM

I feel the same way!!!!! Making a list is good, and I do that. Lately I have no control over some of the tasks I need to do. We are being given one report after another to do. Then we are told that students need to be tested on the computers, so we have to somehow make that work even though our school has limited computers. Then we have a field trip or an assembly or college student observers or college students who have to do lessons. All of that puts me way behind. Formal observations are coming up, and these days those require a lot of planning and preparing. Lesson plans take extra long. Meetings are constantly being scheduled. Most of this is out of our control and on top of our regular jobs that we have to do. This seems to be the norm for most teachers everywhere. We are stretched wayyyyy toooo thin and too much is expected of us. I am still trying to have a smile on my face, but it is getting harder. Love PT to get wonderful ideas, chat about normal stuff, or just vent together!!!!! Thanks PTers!!!!!!!!
csb/5th is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 PM

Sounds like burn out to me! I have been there. Its just me. Everyone has different priorities, but when I clean I feel like I have accomplished a lot and then I feel more motivated to do everything else. Give your kids all some small specific tasks and clean together the first time they all don't have to be somewhere, or when everyone gets home. When things are in order in my house, I feel better and get more done outside my home!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote