Help

The VENT

Coworkers that Steal

>

gammypoo

Coworkers that Steal
Old 01-13-2016, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a coworker that I keep catching with my things and I didn't give them to her. I was looking for a book to teach a lesson with and guess what I see on her desk. I know it was mine because it had the level and test number in my handwriting. When she noticed me staring at it, she covered it up. This is not the first incident. No telling what all she has that belongs to me. I am so mad and don't know what to do about it.

gammypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 01-13-2016, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You walk over to her desk, take your book, and tell her that you don't appreciate her taking things that aren't hers. I also would photo document everything you have and put your name in permanent marker. Then, lock it up.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 01-13-2016, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

MACMama is absolutely correct! You need to speak up and let her know you do not appreciate her taking things without asking. It may be hard, but once you do it you will gain confidence in yourself.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Stealing Colleague
Old 01-13-2016, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I am so mad and don't know what to do about it.

Walk to her desk...
Get your book..
Tell her it is your book..
Tell her you didn't let her borrow it &...
You don't like her getting things w/o asking you 1st

When she saw you looking & started to covered the book, you should have said "oh that's my book I was looking for -see my handwriting? & I need my book now.
Dr. A is online now   Reply With Quote

Dreamer625

Terrible!!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Can you lock your door so she can't get in? I'd not, do like pp said and write you name in shape on all your books and if you see her with one take it back. Don't let her use you that way.

Dreamer625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 01-13-2016, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I made neon labels that said "This Belongs to The Peaches and Pears Family" or "This Belongs to Mrs. Peaches Pears".

I did that because I had so many resources and books. I was the go to person for a lot of things. I was also reading coach so I was always loaning things out.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Stealing
Old 01-13-2016, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How is she getting your stuff? If she is just walking into your room when you're not there, it is stealing. If the door is locked, how is she getting in?

I agree with others, flat out tell her you know she's taking your stuff without permission and she needs to stop. Feel free to tell her she is stealing.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 01-13-2016, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would go into her room at the end of day and see/retrieve what she has of yours. Then I would let her know that you do not appreciate her going into your room without permission.

I would also ask the P if you could get your room lock changed because you had been missing many items.

I always put my name on the edge of the book, that way they could not tear off a page. Also use permanent maker to write your name on office supplies, i.e. stapler, tape dispenser, pens/pencils, etc.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Borrower
Old 01-13-2016, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I write my name prominently on the front cover and back cover of every book I own that "lives" at school. you should do the same - it is very hard to say something is your when someone else's name is on it!!!
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

How I marked my materials
Old 01-13-2016, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Well, books anyway. Name on the pages. Couldn't tear them off. Then, I'd turn to the page that was the same as my classroom (eg p. 104) and put my name on that. I mostly did that on books in my classroom library so that students wouldn't try and erase or "shave" my name off. I lost a set of Harry Potter books to that scheme, then started to put my name in small print near the binding on a page of each book. Got a couple back that way. If the book doesn't have that many pages, choose your own way.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

gammypoo

Thanks
Old 01-13-2016, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for the advice. I tried to go back up after school and look in the book to find my name, but she was still there at 6:30 with no one but the janitor who will unlock any door she asks I guess. I have reported her to the principal when my whole Christmas file was missing from my file cabinet and she had a story I had hand written 29 years ago during student teaching. She snatched it from me and claimed it was her mothers handwriting and I showed her another one on the same paper and exact handwriting. She was ugly but she gave it back to me. It didn't help at all. I think she has been doing this for years but I don't have any real proof.
gammypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 01-13-2016, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I have reported her to the principal when my whole Christmas file was missing from my file cabinet and she had a story I had hand written 29 years ago during student teaching. She snatched it from me and claimed it was her mothers handwriting and I showed her another one on the same paper and exact handwriting. She was ugly but she gave it back to me. It didn't help at all. I think she has been doing this for years but I don't have any real proof.
WOW!

People never cease to surprise me.
Sad to say but maybe it is time to start keeping most things at home and bring things to school daily in a wheeled suitcase or cart. Nuisance yes, but at least you will know the location of the materials you bought with your personal money.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-14-2016, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have locks on my armoire, file cabinets, and desk because things tended to go missing over the summer. I'm so sorry this is happening to you.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 01-14-2016, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

What has your principal said to your colleague? Anything? Or do you have a wimp for a principal?

I would talk to the head custodian about the problem and ask that no custodian at your school let her into your room at any time. She's brazen enough to steal so don't feel bad about this request. She's at fault. Not you.

Do you have a locking file cabinet? Keep things locked up.

Tell her point blank that she is not to go in your room when you are not there and that she is not to take your materials. If she cuts an attitude and gets snarky, tell her if she has a problem with the request you will be glad to sit down with her and the principal to discuss it. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. She's the thief. Sad a person like that is a teacher.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Wavy

Wavy

Wow!!!
Old 01-14-2016, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

" I have reported her to the principal when my whole Christmas file was missing from my file cabinet and she had a story I had hand written 29 years ago during student teaching. She snatched it from me and claimed it was her mother's handwriting and I showed her another one on the same paper and exact handwriting. "

I amazed that this person is allowed to teach. She should be ethical. In a normal business setting, she would be fired on the spot. What do her students learn in her classroom?

HoHumBeachBum

Old 01-14-2016, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

If you don't already have one, I would email the P asking for a cabinet you can lock under key.

I invested in permanent markers and write my last name alllllll over every piece of material that I use in my room. After seeing my things being taken and used by colleagues, I started to put a diagonal watermark prominently displayed on all my worksheets. My students laugh at that in the beginning of the school but now rarely mention it.

I once saw a colleague's pile of papers with one of mine on top. That colleague even clipped a post-note on top to make copies for her classes. Right in front of that colleague and other teachers, I made a big production of ripping the post-it note off, slamming it down on her book, and taking back my sheet. I was hoping there would be a comment made so I could indicate my last name watermark. There wasn't.

The nerve of some people!!!
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 01-14-2016, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I would have snatched the book up, verified that it was mine, and told her firmly and in no uncertain terms to stop stealing my things. You say you are so mad. Show her. Be blunt. Be firm.

Does she steal from other teachers in your building?

Last edited by GlacierRose; 01-14-2016 at 01:27 PM..
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

HBteach

Old 01-14-2016, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I'm so sorry this is happening.

Something like that happened to me.

The police told me to put my driver's license numbered on several pages of the book. Don't know if that is still a good idea.

Like the others I would have grabbed my book and in no uncertain terms told her to keep her hands off of my stuff

She acted like she got caught with her hand in the cookie jar
HBteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

To Catch a Thief
Old 01-14-2016, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Buy a pack of Sharpie permanent markers, and use them! On everything! Don't use your driver's license number, instead put your first initial and complete last name. Hold each book tightly closed, and write your name directly on the closed pages. Sharpies are great! They can permanently mark most anything.

In my area but not my district, a HS principal was arrested for shoplifting at a local department store. She lost her job, and it made headlines. People were shocked and scandalized. This happened about 25 years ago. Sounds like your colleague may be headed that way if she can't keep her sticky fingers to herself.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

DualToo

Old 05-01-2016, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have a similar problem. My stuff keeps disappearing. I know it's my teammate. Everyone thinks she's great. She tends to kiss up to the principal. She is a very fake person through and through. She also cheats on her SLO tests and fudges absences for her kids to receive perfect attendance awards. I just want to throw up. I've placed a Jumbl hidden camera in my room to try to catch her.
DualToo is offline   Reply With Quote