First Grade

Getting Firsties to read

>

msdee2

Getting Firsties to read
Old 07-25-2016, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,

What can I do to get my first graders reading. Constant repetition of sight words, chunks, etc.? My students have to be at a level 20 this year for DRA and I nervous that some of them won't reach it because they don't read at home. Just trying to do what I can at school to fill in the gap. TIA

Dee

msdee2 is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

Reading
Old 07-25-2016, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like to send home a reading passage weekly. I also spend time working on sight words and fluency phrases. I also have stories available for them to read when they have completed their work. Our school is a Title one school, so I like to support all the students with extra ways to read at school. One great way is using reading buddies. We are a 1st grade, and my reading buddies are 4th graders. During center time I invite my students to read by themselves or read with a friend.

Hope this gives you some ideas to help!!
K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 07-25-2016, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have my first graders put their guided reading book in a folder and they need to read it to 4 different classmates during the week. They need to have their classmates sign a sheet indicating that it was read. Then they take it home and read to an adult. This builds fluency and confidence. If you can't allow them to take the book home, perhaps the fifth person can be an aide or an older student. My students love doing this and it greatly improves their skills.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

bison06

Interested Too
Old 07-26-2016, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year was my first year in first grade after five in fifth and I really struggled (plus is was a crazy year on campus anyway). Even though the basal is not encouraged, I'm planning on using as much from Journeys as possible this year. I bought some fluency practice homework from Second Story Window (TPT/Facebook) that I'm hoping will help (I bought two sets, one to start out with and one leveled set so that once I get everyone leveled I can send differentiated homework home). I'm also planning on taking minutes from Science and SS to add to ELAR time... We'll see how it goes, I'm not very assertive but I tried it "their way" last year and was not very successful, hoping I can stick to my guns and do what I believe is best for the students.
bison06 is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

reading
Old 07-27-2016, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

After 34 years in first grade I'd say the biggest thing that made the difference in getting kids to LOVE reading and get to end of year grade level was implementing Daily 5 in my classroom.

I taught their IPICK strategy early in the year so kids always had good fit books.

I had families and students pick 3 books for their bins from the class library during open house and then preloaded bins with additional books that I knew were at the right level because of end of year DRA from K. That way when we started building stamina for read to self at the beginning of the year I knew there were books in their bins that were good fit and also books that were of high interest.

I really followed the sisters advice on line and in their book for a building independence.

I typically ended the year with all but 2 or 3 EL students reaching level 20 and maybe a third of the class reading at 28 or above.

This was a school with 65% free/reduced lunch.

D5 changed my teaching and changed the results my students achieved. I can truthfully say they LOVED to read.

bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sac3rd

Parent Volunteers
Old 07-27-2016, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I taught 1st grade (I did so for 11 years), an important part of my balanced program was to have parents come in to pull the kids 1 at a time and the parent would listen to them read. For example, schedule a parent to come in during your guided reading/learning center time. Give the parent your class list and have them start with their own child. Their own child brings their guided reading book to them and reads it aloud. Then the parent tells their child, "Go tap so-and-so on the shoulder and whisper that it is their turn to bring their book to read to me." And so forth. That way the parent doesn't even have to know who all the kids are. This is an excellent opportunity for your kids to develop fluency while building positive relationships with your parent community! Also validates the importance of reading aloud for all.
sac3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

1elateacher

I have students
Old 08-05-2016, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

take their basal readers home three nights a week so they can read to their parents. I also use choral reading to practice fluency. We read poems, shared writing, and morning messages together. I have found some Reader's Theater plays on Teacher Pay Teacher that my students enjoy. Each day, one table gets to share what they wrote in their writing journal. I try to find lots of ways for students to read.
1elateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Old 08-05-2016, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It's important to make sure they have reading materials on their level. At the beginning of the year, that might mean only one or two words on a page. Work on letter sounds, sight words and using picture clues and word chunks. I send their guided reading books home with a reading log every night.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Reading more
Old 08-06-2016, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I send home guided reading book(s) 2 to 3 days and basal story 1-2 days. My lowest kids have another book of decodable stories that goes home too.

We do reading workshop. When I have small groups, everyone else reads alone from their book boxes. They always start with guided reading book and then their good fit books. They choose books weekly during this time. I have a few do it on daily schedule. They have 8-10 books in their box.
Some read from leveled stories on tablets.

I usually send partners from my guided reading group to carpet to read story to each other.

Lots of early practice to develop stamina and behaviors is needed, but worth it.

Kids also read when other written work is done chosen from any shelf. They always keep a book in their desk too.

I don't do centers but all the work is differentiated, so there's lots of choices of activities.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

msdee2

Which section?
Old 08-06-2016, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like this idea, I'm just trying to picture it in my head. Do you do Daily 5 or literacy centers if so what section do you do it in?

msdee2 is offline   Reply With Quote