Help

The VENT

Another piggyback to annoying question

>

PindleLou888

Another piggyback to annoying question
Old 12-31-2019, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel so lucky to have breaks. People in other jobs are not as lucky. So when someone ask someone how their break was and they say it was too short I always feel a little funny about that.

PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-31-2019, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My friend works in a bank. She gets 5 weeks of vacation. She doesnít have people swearing at her, hitting her, yelling while sheís trying to work (teach), picking up chairs and threatening to throw them across the room or a supervisor telling her sheís incompetent. She goes in, sits at a desk, works for 8 hours (or less) and leaves.

Somehow I donít feel bad saying my break was too short.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Old 12-31-2019, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good point!

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-31-2019, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I should also add that she makes what I make and she has a bachelorís degree. I have 2 masters degrees. And she spends $0 out of pocket. Donít ask what I spent.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Hmmm
Old 12-31-2019, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What I've learned here is that I should just work at the bank.

To respond to the original message, sometimes I feel like our breaks are short because it's hard to decompress and really feel like I had a break. That's my own issue though.

Savvy is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 12-31-2019, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When people complain about how many breaks teachers get, I always ask them with fake excitement when they are planning to become a teacher? The job is so great, of course you want to do it too! Somehow they never do, though.

Also, I'm the one who always answers "Too short!" when people ask me how break was, but I only give that answer to my co-workers. Who usually laugh and agree. If other people ask me about break, I just tell them it was good.
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 12-31-2019, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Not really. We get a lot of unpaid days. Due to this, we're often pressured into not taking our sick, vacation, and personal days. In my district, unused vacation and personal days don't roll over. We're forced to make nine months of salary pay for twelve months. OP you are entitled to your opinion, but this is why people feel the way we do.

Izzy23

Old 12-31-2019, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
What I've learned here is that I should just work at the bank.
Seriously. I worked for 15 years in the private sector and I only got 2-3 weeks off a year. But I also got all holidays off and the same amount of sick days. I got to go to the bathroom whenever I wanted. I took an hour for lunch most days. I could come in early or late, depending on my schedule and what needed to get done. If I wanted to take a break, I could go on social media or text people whenever I felt like it. Or I could take a 10-minute walk outside. Only had a bachelor's degree and no additional trainings unless my employer paid for it. Never bought any of my own supplies for anything.

Hey - why did I quit that job again??
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-01-2020, 01:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

All jobs have their pros and cons. Yes, we are lucky to get so many breaks in teaching. However, as others have alluded to many other positions do not require you to be "on" all day long like teaching does, nor do they do require the amount of time outside of work hours (or if they do, professionals are compensated for that time). I am always just amazed when I hear my non-teaching friends talking about going out for lunch or going to the gym in the middle of the work day. While they work more days per year than I do, their work days are A LOT more flexible and relaxing than my day teaching is.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Old 01-01-2020, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You know what, you guys are absolutely right. I didn't think of it that way!

mommy9298

Old 01-01-2020, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If we didnít have the breaks, we would never last. Our job is time consuming, draining, and stressful so we need time to refresh. My non teacher friends donít take work home, can build in some me time during the day, and get paid more. When someone makes a comment about all the days off I just say you can make a career change.
mommy9298 is online now   Reply With Quote

whatever

For us
Old 01-01-2020, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

At 16 days, this is a relatively long break for us. BUT, with the holiday eve and holidays happening mid-week, it felt shorter. Many businesses closed those days. I had 4 Dr's appointments in the remaining days. I canceled one other and didn't get to make a Dentist appointment.

So, yes, it felt short to me. I can guarantee though that most of the parents of my students think it is far too long. If they can't handle their one to a few kids every day for 16 days, why can't they be more appreciative of the days we do have school??

Like a PP, yes, we get breaks. We don't get to pick when, we don't get paid in the traditional sense, we need and deserve those breaks, and so on.

It is sweet that you felt so appreciative of your days off. But do not begrudge another for those other opinions either. Happy New Year.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 01-01-2020, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I agree wtih whatever. It may have been a two week break, but I try to cram everything into those two weeks so I don't have to take the time during the school year. So out of 10 actual school days off, I only had 2 days with no appointments or other commitments. Yes, it is nice to not have to take time off for appointments, but after the dentist, dr, PT, neuro and other appointments it feels like no time off at all. We do get MLK day off, but then no breaks until Easter.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Bank
Old 01-01-2020, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Lol, I now work at a credit union. I get 10 days vacation per year. I miss the break as far as time to get things done. However, I don't NEED the break. Teachers need every break they get!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 01-01-2020, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My dd gets two weeks at Christmas, one week at thanksgiving, three weeks vacation and all holidays. She has flexible hours and gets paid extra if she works outside regular office hours. She can go to the bathroom and to lunch whenever she needs. If there were jobs like this when I was young, I definitely would not have gone into teaching.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Public School vs Private Sector
Old 01-01-2020, 11:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I agree, it feels a little funny to say the break was too short, when my friends only get 2-3 weeks of vacation each year. OTOH, I worked in a bank 25 years ago, and took a MASSIVE pay cut ($10,000/year) to become a teacher. I would do it all over again! I like teaching, though.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 01-02-2020, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Friends of mine kid around with me and say they wish they could have as many breaks as I do.
But then, they also say I deserve every $%^&* minute of my time off and that they'd never be a teacher.
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Old 01-02-2020, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My step son works in Silicon Valley and my daughter-in-law works at Netflix in California. Both are salaried and can take as many vacation days as they want. SS jokingly states that one should just not take more days off than the boss does. They both travel constantly. So that is even changing in the business sector.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote