Help

First Grade

Daily 5 read to self

>

Echen89

Daily 5 read to self
Old 09-04-2016, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first grade teacher and I just had a question about the read to self portion of the daily 5. What constitutes breaking stamina? If they look away from their books for just one moment? If they hum or read out loud? Or is it when they stop reading for a large portion of time? Thank you. Im a complete newbie teacher and appreciate the help.

Echen89 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Welcome Echen89!
Old 09-04-2016, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that that is a decision every teacher has to make for herself. If they are looking around, talking, getting up to get more books, they are definitely breaking stamina. I think if they just look up for a moment, and go back to reading, that's okay.
Some students are pretty good at staring blankly or turning pages randomly to try to make you think they are reading. Those are the ones you have to watch, and try to show them how to really read the pictures and try to read the words.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

Old 09-04-2016, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with what Linda stated. You need to define what you are looking for with your students. I've even had some of my students model what I am looking for. This way everyone understands my expectation. In the beginning of the year, 5 minutes is a long time....make it attainable at first and then make your expectations longer and longer as they develop stamina! Good luck!
K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Echen89

Getting new books
Old 09-04-2016, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh wow thanks! I was unsure about it. About getting up to get new books, what about if they finish their book? They bring their book boxes with them before they start R2self. Would it be breaking stamina if they switched books from their book box? Thank you so much! Oh and by the way, im a he😄.

linda2671

Old 09-04-2016, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Changing books is okay when they are changing from their book boxes. That's why you train them to have several good fit books in their boxes. First graders tend to get tricky (they think) by pretending to look for books on the shelves, and really meet their friends there to visit. I don't allow them to get up and walk around at all. They can switch books from their boxes.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Echen89

Thanks youre a lifesavor
Old 09-04-2016, 11:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh wow, i didnt think first graders could be so devious. But then again i have seen some things in my shorttime as a teacher, including substitute teaching. Thanks again!

Munchkins

Welcome!
Old 09-05-2016, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Glad to see another 1st grade teacher here!

For me, breaking stamina is getting up or talking to a classmate. They can switch books but only the ones at their tables. I use the Daily 5 strategy of avoiding eye contact because if they are watching me, they aren't reading. I want them to develop self control without ME being their control so I can eventually hold uninterrupted small groups while the others read independently.

While first graders are reading, they need to be subvocalizi get until they get to level H, or else they aren't really reading. I make sure to spend time on how to "whisper read." My first trainer from Teachers College of NY taught me "EH." At level E they should stop tracking with their finger, at level H they should start reading in their heads.

Have a wonderful year!!!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

krazykaye

Old 09-05-2016, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You got some great advice. In the beginning, breaking stamina is pretty much anything that draws attention from their books. Looking around, looking at me, asking me a question, etc. you want to set the tone that read to self is important. Yes, they take their book boxes with them.

As one poster said, first graders can be tricky. They like to see what they can get away with. Do lots of modeling of the appropriate behavior.

Welcome to PT and good luck with your year. Teaching is one of the most rewarding professions you can have.
krazykaye is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

Changing books
Old 09-05-2016, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I spend a lot of time teaching my students that by doing things over and over we get stronger, we get better and we learn.
I explain that if you keep changing books, then you are not learning as much as you can. I stress the reading over and over...can you tell we work on fluency!! I make a big deal about how we do grow and improve.
Hope this helps and welcome once again!!
K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

lv2read

Welcome
Old 09-05-2016, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Welcome to first grade, teaching and PT board! You will find many "experts" here that are always willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

Regarding reading to self, first graders will need to learn to build/develop their reading stamina. I think asking them to read quietly for 5 minutes would be a challenge for my group of first graders, however, you may have to play that by hear. Perhaps start with 4 minutes and see how well they do. Then increase the time to another minute or two. Be strict with no allowing them to get up and wander the library to choose another book. Remind them to read the books in their boxes and if they finish one, then read or reread the other book.

Good luck with this section of Daily 5. Let us know how it goes

lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

Echen89

Great advice
Old 09-05-2016, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Oh wow, these are all great advices! They're much appreciated. Let's see how it goes tomorrow. I guess 2-3 minutes as a goal since it's early in the year. Then we'll see how that goes. Thanks again everyone!

bgteacher

read to self from a 34 year retiree
Old 09-05-2016, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I always had a timer with me that would start at 0 and count up. I'd "ring the chimes" when stamina was broken, re-meet, graph, and start over. Those first days there were times when they made 30 seconds. we would graph that and check from our I chart what was needed to improve stamina.

The sisters suggest starting with 3 minutes, but I found that was too long at the beginning of the year. the kids would have been practicing wrong and not really reading.

An answer about breaking stamina would be to ask yourself...what do YOU want it to look like and sound like when you're doing your guided reading/strategy groups later in the year. What they practice and learn now is what you will see later.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Echen89

Old 09-08-2016, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wise words indeed. Its great hearing from a teacher who had taught for so long. Thank you