Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

flooring care

>

Shelby3

flooring care
Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 AM

We've successfully sold our home and down-sized to a rental. I've always lived with carpet, but this home doesn't have a thread. A large portion of it has wood laminate flooring. I know I can't use much water on it. What's the best and easiest way to care for it??
TIA

Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

it'sjustme

steam mop
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 AM

I have a BISSELL steam mop and use it for my laminate, and my linoleum. I love it....
it'sjustme is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Investigate first
Old 05-19-2017, 10:20 AM

I know some folks use a steam cleaner on their laminate flooring but I wouldn't suggest using steam. I remember checking out steam cleaners when I first got my laminate flooring and steam cleaners weren't recommended for laminate at that time. That was bought seven years ago and recommendations may have changed now.

I've only use a very very damp mop on the floor. No heat.

Laminate flooring will lift and swell when water touches a seam or edge. It's happened to me.

Google cleaning laminate flooring and see cleaning suggestions. You want to get this right.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

laminate
Old 05-19-2017, 02:11 PM

I second NOT using your steam cleaner. I also have a bissel steam cleaner that I love but was told that it could NOT be used on laminate. It's too hot and can interfere with the sealer on the laminate.

Bona has a cleaner for laminate that is recommended.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 05-19-2017, 02:13 PM

Our house is almost all laminate (tile in the bathroom and laundry). I have a Roomba that I run daily to collect dust and pet hair (Robbie Roomba is very good at this). About once a month I run a damp mop over the floor in the entry where we leave our shoes. Spills and messes (cat upchuck, dropped food, dead snake) get cleaned as they happen (or when they are found). This mostly works well for us.

And, finally, my husband has stopped leaving his ipad on the floor, because he didn't like the tyre tracks Robbie left on the screen!

Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

I agree
Old 05-19-2017, 02:24 PM

that steam mops should not be used on laminate or hard wood floors. Bona is what is recommended for wood floors. It has great reviews. It is the only produce I use on wood floors. I hope that the Bona for laminate is as good but I do not have personal experience. I think damp mopping is the only other option.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote