The VENT

Room Clears

>

FoxFish

Room Clears
Old 10-28-2019, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are your thoughts on Room Clears?

NBC News had a good story on it a few weeks ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdr8AFZJTB0

FoxFish is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 10-28-2019, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Typical bull#### responses by "experts". BTW in most states administrators are allowed to restrain kids. A no tolerance policy on harming teachers would solve it.

As for the typical bull#### responses from those who research but never walk in those trenches the only teacher training I would recommend is training for non education careers.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 10-29-2019, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

These happen often in the district where I work. I feel that some students ought to be in a different setting. There are parents who say "I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do with Johnny." I don't have an easy solution.

There's a (now retired) teacher who used to say "If you can't behave like a human being, then you belong in a cage."
I wouldn't go as far as saying that but it made me wonder how that teacher had seen changes from the late 80's until the day of retirement.

I find myself nodding my head in agreement with the majority of the comments left at the bottom of this video's youtube page.
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Tachet

Tachet

Fape
Old 10-29-2019, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had to clear my room the other day for a kid like this. When your'e not even allowed to hold a kids hand or pat their shoulder when they're acting up, what do you do when they try to throw the laptop at you? Free and appropriate education only applies to special needs students. Their rights trump those of all other students and teachers. You're more likely to see the woman whose kid stabbed the teacher sue the district than you are to hear the rest of the students parents complain.

Ruby tunes

Room clears
Old 10-29-2019, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My thoughts are: I agree completely with the vast majority of comments from the public. Students who are violent do NOT belong in a regular public school classroom, period! Get them out!! Teachers do not get combat pay!

Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

fape
Old 10-29-2019, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my opinion free and appropriate is the way to do things. The problem is, if kids need a room clear they're definitely NOT in the right setting. That mom said her son needed a smaller class size.

It seems the red tape that keeps kids out of more restrictive setting are the problem. That one expert said behavior is communication. That room destructive behavior says 'get me out of here, I can't handle a regular ed classroom'.

I'm a retired teacher and it breaks my heart that things are getting worse, not better.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 11-02-2019, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It breaks my heart I'm not a retired teacher.

I'll bet most of those youtube comments are not from teachers.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote