The VENT

Feeling Uncomfortable

>

Uncomfortabl

Uncomfortabl

Feeling Uncomfortable
Old 02-04-2020, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Longtime poster signed out due to an easily recognized situation if someone from my school happens to read this.

This afternoon I needed to discuss a student situation with my principal. I go to the office, his door is open, so I knock gently and enter the room. A student had been working at a desk in the office and was packing a backpack to leave. His office is small and he faces the door so I don't feel like I was being rude, we are very informal in our school. When I went in he greeted me. We discussed my issue and visited a bit, then I left. It was all very professional, even if informal and friendly. But when I left I couldn't help feeling uncomfortable. He was reading a Bible. I am a Christian. I am comfortable with religion. However, I was uncomfortable and felt like I interrupted his devotional or personal reading. This is a public school and not the first time I've had this experience entering his office. I don't feel this is appropriate reading at 1:30 in the afternoon while at work.

Not sure how to feel?

bgteacher

separation
Old 02-04-2020, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Perhaps he was on a break. No problem at all reading a bible on his time.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 02-04-2020, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Would it have bothered you if he was reading a novel? I keep a Bible on the bookcase by my desk in the classroom. I donít read anything for myself when my students are in class, but I donít think itís wrong for anyone to take a break and read whatever they enjoy for a few minutes. He stopped when something work related came up. Now if he read for an hour every day, and not his lunch hour, that might be a problem.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-04-2020, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Honestly, not sure why you feel anything. His office. His time. His choice of reading. His schedule is not dictated as a teacher's is, so it being 1:30 in the afternoon has no bearing on anything. Nor does it being a public school.

My plan time begins at 3:20...if I choose to read a bible passage or scripture at that time, I have that right. So does your P. I truly do not understand why you are feeling uncomfortable.
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 02-04-2020, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I get. I'm a Jesus-follower and very comfortable around conversations about faith and the Bible. And I get to school before my contracted time and start my day with prayer before anyone else comes in my classroom. But I don't read my Bible during my planning time. I definitely could - no one would ever think of stopping me. But planning time is still work time, just not in front of kids. Reading scripture is a personal activity. I guess maybe if it was his lunch break... but it doesn't sound like that was the situation.

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Old 02-04-2020, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I read a devotion at work sometimes when I eat lunch. I eat alone most of the time in my class. If someone come in, I stop and talk. I was talking to my principal the other day and afterwards I felt uncomfortable but it was because she was sort of dry. I decided it had nothing to do with me and if it did, I wasnít going to worry.
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I can see both sides...
Old 02-04-2020, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Since he had a student present, I would assume he was "on duty." His timing could have been questioned. He may have thought it was something quiet he could do while the student worked. Who knows?

I live in the Bible Belt. I have Bibles in my student library. We have discussions about what they did at church and they are very active church members. (I do not attend myself but my students and paras do.) All of those discussions are student initiated and led.

My school still prays at big meals for students and/or staff-Christmas dinner, back to school lunches, Athletic Banquet, etc.

On the other side, we go down the rabbit hole and google other religions and beliefs, for curiosity and understanding. Media and news bring up other religions quite often allowing lots of opportunities.

I teach SpEd so Social expectations and norms and personal behaviors are often discussed as classroom topics.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Bible
Old 02-04-2020, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It wouldn't bother me honestly. Unless of course he was reading it so often that the actual work of running a school was being neglected. I rarely read for pleasure at school but I have on occasion during my break. Nothing wrong with that- whether it's the Bible, the Koran, or Harry Potter.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Self Care?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Perhaps he was very upset with something that student or another student did. Maybe this was his way to get himself back calm before getting back to work? Many people have things they do as forms of self care and many of them are seen as very acceptable in a school setting. For example, if you heard a teacher listening to classical music, saw them taking deep breaths, walking to the lounge to make some tea, etc. Perhaps he just needed a minute to refocus. Plenty of people read Facebook on their phone, pull out a book, doodle, send a text to a significant other, etc. during work time with or without students present. I do think it odd he had his back to the door when you came in. I feel like if a student is in trouble (which is usually a reason to hang with the principal all day) I wouldn't have my back to them. Who knows what mischief they could get up to. Plus then you risk not seeing who is at your door until they have entered which can sometimes mean you don't have time to problem solve a situation as quickly.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 02-04-2020, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When I worked at a charter school I had a situation that made me uncomfortable so I get where you are coming from. I am also a christian, and my previous school had been a private christian school perhaps this made my principal think that this made it ok to suggest that we "pray" about an issue. But, like you it made me uncomfortable. The minute I walk into school I put on my teacher hat and as a teacher I am a non partial party-thats a thing for me no matter what I believe the minute I clock out.

I think its ok to feel uncomfortable, but not much to be done about religious texts he has out in front of students. You get to be uncomfortable -I would to-but may I suggest you take a, "not my monkeys and not my circus," stance. Do I feel it suggests a partiality to a specific religion in front of a student, yes, but I also know enough to keep my uncomfortable nose out of it.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

I'm not religious at all
Old 02-04-2020, 11:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

and REALLY don't like it when schools involve even the slightest bit of religious undertones. That being said, this wouldn't make me uncomfortable at all. He can do what he wants on his time. I always wonder if I can get in trouble for spending my preps and lunches looking up gardening tips, but I figure that it's a break and you should be able to use it to do what you need to do. If that's reading the Bible, so be it. As long as he's not reading it to kids, making staff members read it, or reading it during inappropriate times, it's fine.

I also wouldn't feel uncomfortable about interrupting his reading time. His door was open, which is many schools is an invitation to come in. You knocked and greeted first giving him an opportunity to say something like "Hey, I'm busy taking my break, could you come back later?"
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 02-06-2020, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I donít think this is a situation to lose sleep over. Bottom line is he was available to you when you needed him so why do you care so much as to what he does on his own time.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 02-06-2020, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It wouldn't make me uncomfortable except inasmuch as I don't know if shows good judgment to choose to read religious material in view of students and employees in a public school. I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't want to put up barriers between students who may not be Christian and myself. I would feel that it might foster an "us and them" climate in a diverse school.

Still, if he wasn't reading it to the student and if his religious beliefs don't affect his job performance then I would say it's not your concern and you should just forget about it.

I think the most surprising thing is that he has time to do that. I work in a Catholic school where we are required to have Bibles in our classrooms but I've not seen a principal sitting and reading a Bible in his/her office. They simply don't have time.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

peanut21

I think
Old 02-09-2020, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Some are confused about requiring students or staff to engage in religious activities and doing them
Ourselves. Nothing is going to stop me from wearing my cross ring. Am I worried that students might be offended or it could divisiveness? Absolutely not and it never crossed my mind. My beliefs are my beliefs and I would never hide them nor pretend I am not a Christian.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote