Help

The VENT

It's wrong of me but...

>

Unicorngirl

Rude coworker
Old 02-26-2020, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There's a second grade teacher at my new school who annoys the ever loving crap out of me.
Like today I was making copies and got their first mind you, and she rudely asks how long I'm going to be. Then I stopped for two minutes to discuss something with my team mate while still making copies and she again rudely asked if I was almost finished. I replied that no I wasn't and I was going to be awhile. Just wanted to turn around and tell her to kiss it.

12 days until Spring Break.

Last edited by Unicorngirl; 02-26-2020 at 07:38 PM..
Unicorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Copies
Old 02-26-2020, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At my school, we like to help one another. If we plan to be awhile copying, we will stop to allow others a chance to get work done, too. We will even do copying for someone who may need to run out to do yard duty.

Maybe everyone's patience is thin. March is usually a long month with few breaks.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-26-2020, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At our school, we really try not to "hog" the copiers for extended periods of time. If someone has a lot, most people, if not all, will stop their copying and allow someone who only has a small bit to copy to go ahead of them. Especially if it's in the morning or during the work day, when they may need copies for that very day.

After school, not sure...as I'm never there after school. However, then it might not be as important to let someone put a small order in to be copied in between a large # of copies...

As for myself, I get there every morning at 7:00 a.m. and get the whole copy room to myself. By 8:00, there is a line! But, I'm long gone by then.

I do get the annoying coworker bit, though. There is a 1st grade teacher who is always in "emergency mode"..."I have a student coming for reading and really need to get this copied. Yada. Yada. Yada" (Insert panic voice). Every. single. time. it's an emergency and she MUST be allowed to hop to the head of the line. Luckily, I encounter her very rarely, but when I do, I tell her I'll be done in a minute (and usually am).
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

Unicorngirl

Old 02-26-2020, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I actually didn't take a long time on the copier. . I have a small class but I never ask or bother people when they are making copies. I wait my turn like they taught me in Kindergarten.

Violet4

She could have handled it better
Old 02-26-2020, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Perhaps by asking in a nicer tone, "is it okay if I make these 20 copies really quick and then get out of your way?"

I actually have been very annoyed by certain people who asked me that same question in the same manner.

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 02-27-2020, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If someone is in front of me at the copier I often ask if they have a lot not trying to be rude or get in front of them but to decide if I want to wait or come back later.

Sometimes they'll say "I'm sorry, I have a lot" and I always respond that they don't have to apologize for doing their job!
sevenplus is online now   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 02-27-2020, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There is nothing wrong with asking someone how long they will be. Why should someone stand there for 10 minutes only to find out that you have 10 minutes more? We all have things to do. Not everyone has 10 minutes to wait at that time. So, if there i no chance that you will be done soon, she probably has other things she can be doing instead of waiting for you to finish, especially when you take two minutes to have a conversation in the middle of your run copying different items at the copier.

Where I am, if you have a long job and someone comes to the machine, we all let the others know that it will be another 5 or 10 minutes or whatever it is. If it is a long task and they have just a 30 second job, we often let the person run their copies. That depends on how much extra time we have before we have to be somewhere else.

Unicorngirl

Old 02-27-2020, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have 5 students so it doesn't take me more than 10 minutes. This teacher is just rude, her tone, body posture, and facial expressions. I'm always curtis when others are.

all41

Old 02-27-2020, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Well, she asked how long you would be, and I think that is a fair question so she can decide if she wants to wait or come back later. It is a very common question we all ask each other when meeting at the copy machine because we are all on a tight schedule and want to use our time in the best way.
Now from her point of view, I can see her getting irritated with you. She made it know that she was waiting for the machine by asking a logical question, yet you choose to stop for 2 minutes to talk to someone else, but still kept the machine to yourself. She very possibly could have completed her copy task in that 2 minutes you were visiting. Just another way to look at it.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 02-27-2020, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
She made it know that she was waiting for the machine by asking a logical question, yet you choose to stop for 2 minutes to talk to someone else, but still kept the machine to yourse
This is exactly what stood out to me. In this case, you were the rude one, in my opinion. You can get a lot of copies made in two minutes! I probably would have just stepped around you and started using it if you were having a conversation knowing I was waiting. But I wouldn't have had to do that at my school because if we're doing a long job, we always let someone else cut in with a shorter one if it's possible.

Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 02-27-2020, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

At my school we ask how long it will be all the time. Mostly it's so they can decide if they will wait or come back later. For example, if someone says they'll be copying for ten minutes, I won't stand around and wait - I'll either come back later or go to a different copier. If they say it will be 2 minutes, then I can stand and wait. It's so I don't waste my entire prep standing in line waiting for the copier. I don't think this teacher meant to be rude by asking that.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 02-27-2020, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

At my school if we have a lot to copy and the next person isn't in a hurry for it and has a simple job, we will often offer to put theirs in just after we are done and they can come back for it
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unicorngirl

Nope.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was talking to my coworker while making copies. I didn't stop making copies and her tone was rude. People need to build a bridge and get over it. First come first serve basis.

annie_g

Old 02-27-2020, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I always tried to make my copies a few days ahead, and I was at school earlier than most so I did a lot of my copying then. I do believe if it's during the day that whoever is on their prep time should have priority. If you were already there and had a bunch of copying, then she should have just left and done hers later. As the saying goes, "A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Unicorngirl

Old 02-27-2020, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We have the same prep. I prep on Wednesdays for the next week. My time is just as valuable if not more so than regular ed. Special Education is paperwork on top of paperwork. People can be patient and wait their turn. If it's taking me a long time then I wouldn't be offended, but to walk in and in a rude tone ask me how long I'm going to be is putting pressure on me. I have enough of that from everywhere else.

bGracie

Old 02-27-2020, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
My time is just as valuable if not more so than regular ed.
In what way is your time more valuable?
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unicorngirl

Old 02-27-2020, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Because I have none. I have students in my room all day. I get no break most of the time. They throw a tantrum before specials then I have to stay with them. They rip apart the room then I stay and try not to get taken out. It is what it is, but my time is pretty much non existant most days.

Everyone's time is valuable, but people can use their patience. We ask this of our kids yet so rarely do so ourselves.

Last edited by Unicorngirl; 02-27-2020 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Added more.

all41

Old 02-27-2020, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
My time is just as valuable if not more so than regular ed.
OUCH! How is your time more valuable than any other teacher in the building? Sorry to say this attitude is not going to gain you any sympathy from your coworkers.

Quote:
Special Education is paperwork on top of paperwork.
Yes, SPED does have a lot of paperwork, but so does everyone else. We all have tasks that have more of a workload than other areas. WE all deal with paperwork, reports, grades, students, administration, parents, and the list goes on.

Quote:
ask me how long I'm going to be is putting pressure on me. I have enough of that from everywhere else
Quote:
I have 5 students
Sorry you are feeling pressure. We ALL feel pressure in education. I am sorry to say you are not any different.

Quote:
They throw a tantrum before specials then I have to stay with them. They rip apart the room then I stay and try not to get taken out. It is what it is, but my time is pretty much non existant most days.
Classroom teachers deal with the same issues daily. I have not had a lunch break all week.

Unicorngirl

Old 02-27-2020, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I'm a professional. I don't go around demanding people give me the copier or telling them to hurry up. I keep my opinions to myself. I'm courteous to everyone.

She's been rude to me multiple times. And this is the vent board, therefore, I'm venting.

stephenPE

Old 02-27-2020, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

many years ago our P got each teacher their own copier. This in a poor school in a poor district. I remember my first year (1978) lining up at the mimeograph machine. I loved the smell of those fresh papers. Even as a PE teacher I had access to a copier.
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Unicorngirl

Old 02-27-2020, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I'm not here to compare jobs. I'm sorry you haven't gotten your lunch, but it's the internet. Don't take offense to an opinion that differs from yours. You won't change my mind.

Unicorngirl

Old 02-27-2020, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Wow, that would be amazing. We're luck if ours is working.

all41

Old 02-27-2020, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Not trying to change your mind, you made the comparison about your time being more valuable than others. Sometimes people act in a manner for a reason, traffic moves both ways.

Hope your day gets better.

Tori58

Old 02-27-2020, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Hmm. If I were you, I'd be wondering what she was saying about me today and to whom she was saying it.

Where I work, copier use is prioritized by how much you have to do, when you need it and how much time you have. It's not prioritized by who got there first. It's always okay to ask how long a teacher will be and it's routine for teachers to offer to do copying for people who are pressed for time. I'm so glad that I work with a staff that can act like a team. I haven't always been that lucky.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 02-27-2020, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I hear your vent, OP! Not sure if it compares----in other circumstances, I've been glad to let people go ahead of me and have asked similar questions. I found myself in a similar position at the beginning of the year. I'd been waiting fifteen minutes for the copier. I had students lining up outside my room but still had about 5 or 10 minutes before I really needed to let them in. Seriously thought I'd need the copies that day so had gotten there early to copy them. After waiting my turn and knowing by now I needed to actually make them (about 100 copies), a teacher walked in breezily and asked if she could step ahead of me.
I told her "I really need to make these copies now as I need them for today and I've been waiting a bit and have students lining up outside my room." This teacher did not have a class first period. She assures me, "I'll just be a minute." I repeat myself and move in to make the copies. She looks at me again and asks if she can step in. By this point, I grab my paper out of the machine, repeat myself AGAIN and invite her to step ahead. She looks at me and says, Well you don't need to get angry. I say, well....I've told you twice that I really need to make the copies and have been waiting a while but you still need want to get ahead of me. I"m sure she still thinks rude things.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

chickpea

I think Unicorngirl's
Old 02-27-2020, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

main point is being missed.

The teacher was rude in the way she asked and that is why she was venting.
chickpea is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Oh my
Old 02-27-2020, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

ten minutes, depending on when, while another person does a whole week's worth of copying, could feel like forever.

When she rudely asked you how long you would be, what did you tell her? What time of day was it?
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

EllyTeaches

Old 02-27-2020, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I deleted my comment. I agreed with Unicorngirl.
EllyTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

Unicorngirl

Chickpea.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Yes, that was my point.

teabreak

Copier
Old 02-27-2020, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Iím going to go hug my copy room lady and buy her flowers and chocolate. I feel very fortunate right now. We have a huge copy room with 4 copiers, plus there are at least 2 copiers on each wing and floor of our school (high school with 2,000 kids).

If I have a big job to copy I email the item to the copy room lady and she takes care of it for me. I have been under a rock and feel so blessed that I have this. Iím so sorry you all have to deal with things like this.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Copier
Old 02-29-2020, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

It irks me when people ask how long I'm going to be or if I'm almost done. Many people expect to walk in and immediately begin their copying. It gives me the same feeling when someone asks to get in front of me in a store checkout lane.

I'm not inconsiderate, but it I also don't feel the need to make accommodations for everyone. Wait your turn or come back later.
Savvy is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-29-2020, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I don't think it's rude to ask how long it will be. If you are almost done, I would wait. If you are going to be another 5 minutes or more, I would come back another time. Now the tone of voice for the question might make it rude.

Lengthy copying jobs should be done at off hours, not at times when the machines are in high demand.

And to avoid the annoying questions, you could volunteer information if another teacher comes while you are copying. "Hi, I'll just be a minute." Or, Sorry, I'm in the middle of a big set. I could be 5 minutes or more.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Room_916

Iím glad that
Old 02-29-2020, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

at my school everyone can just print remotely from their computers. Hit print, put in the number of copies, you can tell the copier to copy front and back, to staple, etc. Then hit send. I can do it all from my desktop or my Chromebook. Then my job/jobs join the queue. It truly is first come, first serve. If I feel like it, I can even send jobs on my Chromebook from my house. Iíve done it before. When I get to school my copies were waiting for me. I truly appreciate this setup even more so after reading this thread.
Room_916 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 02-29-2020, 10:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Thereís nothing wrong with asking how much longer someone will be at the copier. But I think when you ask, you should make it clear that youíre just trying to plan your time, not pressure anyone into hurrying or letting you jump the line.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote