School Mental Health

support needed for practicum

>

Bigfoot

support needed for practicum
Old 03-12-2017, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,
First of all let me say how much I like this forum, it has really been helpful to me. I am a teacher but I am doing a practicum since September in Counselling. In January 2017, I got severely sick (septic stone) and have been off my practicum. I need to finish by end of April because I have to go back to work in May (no choice, or I may lose my job). I was going guns of blazing until I became very ill. I am going to go back to my practicum beginning tomorrow, although I am not quite healed. Still dizzy and tired, but I am going to start off slow. The biggest issue is that I have had partial hearing loss, due to catching shingles when I was sick, which has left me devastated I am supposed to get a hearing aid this week, but just in so much grief.
I only have around 65 hours left, which is great, so I think I can finish, but I worry about being tired and my hearing.

Do you have any words of wisdom and advice for me, this damn program was so expensive and time consuming that I just want to finish it.

Thank you so much for any thoughts, Angela

Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

counseling practicum
Old 03-12-2017, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Angela, I am so sorry that you were ill and that you're still not feeling well. 65 hours doesn't sound like a lot, but you're still recovering from your illness so that might be more taxing that if you were healthy.

I would say to make sure you practice self-care. Counseling is hard even when you aren't getting over an illness, so make sure you rest, eat well, etc. This might mean saying "no" at times when you're asked to do something above and beyond. I'm hoping this wouldn't be put on you since you're just in your practicum hours though.

Best of luck...and here's to a speedy recovery!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Angela,

I hope you continue on the mend. I agree that 65 hours doesn't seem like a ton, so you can definitely do this over the next month and a half. I completely agree with eeza that self-care is so important, and I would plan your time so you aren't overdoing it on any given day.

I would sit down - maybe with your supervisor- and plan out how to get those 65 hours in. Spreading it out over the next several weeks/month and giving yourself a few weeks breathing room might be best. Be clear with your supervisor about your hearing issues right now and ask for any suggestions. I'm not sure what duties you need to be doing during the remainder of this practicum, but I'd plan to be standing in the best place for your hearing.

I'm glad you like this forum! I hope you continue here. We seem to get visitors who don't stay and post regularly. I'd love to see more regular posting
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Bigfoot

Thank you for the feedback
Old 03-13-2017, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Counselling is really hard work, and I easily see how we can succumb to burnout. It is difficult to hear other people's problem and not feel for them.

Thank you for your suggestions - I love the idea of spreading it slowly, especially beginning slowly. I definitely will and have today said no to a couple of suggestions made by my supervisor. Of course, I worded it, in a kind way but in a honest way as well. She completely understood, saying I should take it easy and only do what I felt necessary.

Thank you, thank you for being so kind, positive and empathetic, you both must be very good counsellors, because you understood my feelings and made so much sense. AS I was reading your posts, my eyes filled with tears, because so many people don't understand what I am going through, they think I should get back to working and my practicum full time immediately. Although I would love too, I know that I cannot.

I, too, hope more people would post on this forum, there are so many knowledgeable people, its like group supervision.
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote