Help

The Job Search

Wait what???

>

cruxian

Wait what???
Old 05-17-2019, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay so I got hired a little while ago to teach sixth grade science. Same team as a friend, non tested area, hooray!!
Got an email from my former and future teammate. The current principal at the school (who is retiring next month) asked him to feel me out about teaching seventh grade science. I do have a graduate degree in biology and I think that's partly why he wants me; plus maybe he's not having many applicants for the seventh grade position.
I'd like to be a team player, especially in a new place. (But this guy's retiring so....why didn't his replacement reach out? And why reach out through my friend instead of contacting me directly?)
However, I really don't want to teach seventh grade. I had it in my mind that I was teaching sixth grade; my friend was going to be on my team of teachers and would pass along the basic framework of the curriculum, allowing me to tweak and improve but not initially build the structure.
The other part is that I'm not actually certified to teach seventh or eighth grade science. I could be, if I took the Praxis and passed it. But I haven't signed up for it and have no idea when I'd be able to get in to take it nor if I would pass the test if I took it. Generally I'm a good test taker but seriously? What happens if they're assuming I'd be seventh grade science, I go to take the test, bomb it, and then what? What if they hire someone to teach sixth grade and then I'm not qualified to teach seventh grade? Would they have to let the person go?

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 05-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would tell the P that you are not endorsed/certified to teach 7th grade science.
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-17-2019, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yeah, I ended up emailing him and saying that. To add the, all I'd have to do is take the Praxis exam. I'm generally a decent test taker but I dunno if I could pass the middle school science exam without reviewing the material. Plus I don't know how soon I'd be able to take the test. What if they slotted me for 7th grade science , hired someone else to take sixth grade science, and then I failed the test? I'm not sure where I'd be.
Lol...I'm more "talking" it out. After a long week of testing, it threw me for a lot when this came out of left field! I talked to a colleague and ended up doing just what you said----letting him know I'm not certified to teach that at the moment.

GraceKrispy

Old 05-23-2019, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Any update, Cruxian? I hope that was that and you get to keep the grade you want!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-24-2019, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh, sorry! I should have come back to update. So I literally never from admin (the guy is retiring anyway) but I emailed and said teammate had reached out to figure out my interest. I mentioned that I wanted to remain in the grade level that I'd originally applied for and accepted. Mentioned I felt uncomfortable accepting a position I wasn't certified to teach and that my background in science aligned more closely with initial grade level. Haven't heard back but teammate texted me and said I was officially on that particular team at school.
I tend to be anxious and want to please so this kinda stuff throws me for a loop!!

gertegan

Old 06-06-2019, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

From someone who's taught a few grade levels, stick with your favorite age group. 7th is mine, but I've taught high school and all the while, wanted my 7th graders back. High school wasn't bad, just not what I prefer to teach.
gertegan is offline   Reply With Quote