Help

Special Education

Help with Social/Coping Skills

>

panther1987

Help with Social/Coping Skills
Old 09-07-2019, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. I'm a Resource teacher. I usually have one or maybe two students who have a BIP and need to work on coping skills. These students can usually answer questions about coping and social skills. They can tell what they are supposed to do when something upsets them but getting them to use the coping skills in their regular classroom is where I struggle.

We have a curriculum but almost every activity/lesson is set up for a group and I have one student that has this need currently.

Does anyone have any advice on how to move from talking about social/coping skills to using them in the classroom?

Thanks,
Tammy

panther1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

I think
Old 09-08-2019, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

behavior and social skills are both tough to teach--so much of it only seems to work if we do it as the misbehavior occurs.

However, that said, you could try some role-playing with the students in the classroom. Let the problem student observe and then talk through the scenario. Next, sub him in as the problem behavior actor, then again as another actor.

You can also use Social stories where you have specifically tweaked it to that student's misbehavior/behavior plan.

I teach High School now so we also use a lot of movies or movie clips. If they are younger students, you might also use books or stories. Stories like "Junie B Jones" or "No, David, no" that have "misbehaving" main characters might work. Sometimes the younger kids WON'T get it from stories though as they don't see themselves as the one with the issue.

Good luck. Like I said, some of it is really hard to do proactively. There are a few charactor traits programs that cover both positive and negative behaviors and attitudes.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote