Help

Kindergarten

Does anyone use bridges math program?

>

calumetteach

Does anyone use bridges math program?
Old 11-27-2019, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is there a workbook that goes with it? How are the skills and do you like it? Thank you!

calumetteach is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-27-2019, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We just started using it this year. There is a very small workbook, but most of it doesn't start until halfway through the year. There's also a home connections type workbook (again, very small) that you can send home for practice. I don't think we've done one worksheet so far this year. I LOVE it!!

So far we have introduced numbers to 20 (lots of work with #s to 10), comparing numbers, one more and one less (and beginning addition and subtraction within this), subitization, shapes, making 5, making 10, patterns, and tons of work with 10's frames. Most skills are not meant to be learned to mastery until the end of the year. It doesn't necessarily spiral like some curriculums, but you do touch on a lot of skills in each module and come back to them in many different ways.

So far I really really like it, and I am not one to ever like a packaged curriculum. It's very hands-on with lots of games and manipulatives. The kids are very engaged and learning a ton. I feel like they are going to have a really deep, solid number sense at the end of the year. It's a TON of prep and has been hard to implement this year, but I can see how it will be much better next year. I feel like I'm barely keeping up day to day, and can't get a handle on getting ahead or good organization for it, but I'm sure I'll get there at some point.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

Thank you so much!
Old 11-28-2019, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are using a curriculum I don't really like and I feel like I'm always teaching to the workbook page. They are looking to go to Engageny, but that is also workbook heavy and confusing.

What is the hard part with the prep? Do you think if you had a day or two in the summer that it would help you be better prepared? (I know...a day or two is a drop in the bucket)

Sbkangas5

Old 11-28-2019, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We looked at engageny as well, but across the board everyone preferred Bridges.

As for the prep, it's just... a lot. A big part of it is finding all of the pieces you need for each lesson. Many lessons require you to make a chart or something ahead of time. The number corner piece has a lot of different components so I feel like I'm always needing to find the pieces we need each day. When I'm more organized next year it shouldn't feel quite so overwhelming. We had a couple of days of in-service this summer, but I think until you are actually using the program you don't really know how to set things up or what you will need. We are taking two days within the school year and I think those will be much more helpful.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

Thank you for your insight.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If only we could have all the storage, containers, etc. all set for our teaching. That seems to be at least half the battle.