Kindergarten

Observation in Dec.

>

NerviousNell

NerviousNell

Observation in Dec.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So my admin decided to do a formal observation one week before winter break. I had one kindergartener who decided to be quite disrespectful by talking back. I tried to curb it by giving this student a special job, however, he was having a bad morning and I got marked down on my eval. because of it. Now I am worried about it, and I was wondering with kinders how do you ensure a good eval when sometimes things can go wrong fast?

ElizabethJoy

Obs
Old 12-29-2019, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Whoever is observing you should not be looking for perfect kids or behaviour. They should be looking at how you respond to bad behaviour. If kiddo misbehaves and you manage it well, that should be a good thing!! But some admin don't have realistic expectations, particularly with little ones.

I don't do anything special to prepare kids for observations because I want my boss to see our normal everyday, but there were times in my first two years of teaching when I knew I needed to impress + 'play the game' a bit so I get it. You could try bringing in scented stickers or something extra special and just happen to be handing them out that day when you notice kids doing something awesome. In my first year I also used to tell the kids that the evaluator was coming to watch THEM! Not sure how much impact that would have on k's though.....
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 12-30-2019, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My kinders sometimes tattle on each other (TO the admin) when I'm being observed. I agree with the PP that it's not fair/right for the admin to mark you down for the misbehavior, especially since it sounded like you responded to it well. One of my admins has a tendency to do that too. Maybe they just needed something to say to "improve?"
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 12-30-2019, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Unfortunately there is no way to ensure a good eval. But I 100% agree with this:

Quote:
Whoever is observing you should not be looking for perfect kids or behaviour. They should be looking at how you respond to bad behaviour.
Honestly I don't worry about evals anymore. It is what it is, and unless my job is on the line an eval isn't necessarily going to change what I'm doing in my classroom.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote