Help

BusyBoard

Help with a talkative student

>

EMO109

Help with a talkative student
Old 01-13-2020, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a 4th grader who talks constantly - sometimes to others and often to himself/anyone who might be listening. Weíve talked lots of times about being respectful to his classmates, as well as alternatives, such as moving to different areas of the classroom or even to the hall. Nothing seems to matter (and whatís personally the most frustrating, is that he really doesnít care about how it affects anyone else, including me). Heís also very negative, so often his talk involves complaining about the work - itís stupid, itís too easy, how could anyone not know this, etc. Mom is no help.

My problem is that I have no place for his desk - everyone that I sit him near inevitably complains after a few days. I canít put him near some of the more fragile students because he makes them self-conscious that they canít do the work as easily as he says. He sets off most of the the easily distracted kids and draws them into his behavior, and the serious kids are fed up with being distracted from their work. The teacher last year moved his desk to an island by himself, but warned me that this backfired because he just got louder and more overt to get everyoneís attention.

Thoughts or ideas?

EMO109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Talkative student
Old 01-13-2020, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you have tried everything, and he is well aware of how he is affecting everyone, I would say now is the time to stop dealing with him. Put him at the farthest corner you can, out of your line of vision, then give him an iPad or book or whatever he wants to do to keep him quiet.

In my last five years I was seriously over the one kid who held class hostage. If parents wouldn’t help, and every thing I tried didn’t help, it wasn’t worth wasting more time and energy on an unfixable problem.

Document all accommodations you have attempted and their results. Keep the documentation for at least two years. So when he fails 6th grade and parents come back saying “no one told us” you’ll have proof you tried.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Extreme, but it worked for us
Old 01-13-2020, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For students who had been excessively disruptive to get attention from their peers, I teamed up with other teachers who agreed to send/receive the student (with work in hand) to each otherís classes for a time out. The teacher and students in the other classroom were directed to completely disregard the visiting student. Sometimes they were sent to another grade level so there would be less likelihood of having friends in that classroom.

I made sure I was very stern with the students who were sent to me, so they could see it was a serious consequence. I also seated the visiting student in a corner of the classroom away from the group.

Of course, you need decide the logistics of which teacher or grade level to send them to as well as how long.
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 01-14-2020, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iím focused on the fact he doesnít care... in that sense his talking isnít the issue. If you gagged him, heíd probably come up some other way way to demonstrate it. And his new behavior might be even more destructive.

I donít have a solution but Iím tempted to say it might be time for some professional help. I donít know how you teach someone to care.

On rare occasions I have put a student in the hall (within my line of sight, obviously) until they got themselves under control. But these were kids who wanted to be part of our class and valued friends.

Frankly, this kid scares me... and I am scared for him. His antisocial behavior doesnít bode well for his future.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

eslged

Bored Kid
Old 01-14-2020, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sounds like your 4th grader is bored and looking to entertain himself.

eslged is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Placement
Old 01-14-2020, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Place the child wherever you want in the classroom. IMHO, I would place him on the very edge of the large group and in the back of the room.

Instruct the students around him that when he bugs them, they are allowed to move anywhere else in the classroom. Make empty desks or table space available for them. Perhaps if he sees others moving away from him, he will think about his behavior...or perhaps not.

Have other students loudly told him that he needs to be quiet? Perhaps if his peers deal with his behavior (peer pressure), he will get the message. At first, have these students use "I messages." (Example: I have trouble concentrating when you keep making noise.) If this does not work, I would praise the child who has the courage to say "shut up" very loudly!!

I would also invite the guidance counselor and principal to visit the classroom so they can witness his behavior. Perhaps the principal can sit down next to him, embarrass the sh** out of him, and place his finger over his lips to give the child the signal to be quiet.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 01-16-2020, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Your post screams a very upset child who is using words get his frustrations out rather than using other methods.

The fact that he is using negative talk tells you he needs some work with the counselors to get to the bottom of what is going on. He may need help learning to deal with frustration. The work may be too much for him or way too easy for him.

You are looking at trying to eliminate the symptom of what is going on with him because it annoys you (and others). I suggest you try to get to the bottom of the cause so that the student will be helped.