Help

BusyBoard

Reading intervention - ideas needed

>

km

Reading intervention - ideas needed
Old 01-14-2020, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are the best reading intervention materials you have used for phonemic awareness and phonics?
I am not happy with what my district uses and need ideas.

km is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-14-2020, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you looking for program/curriculum suggestions to purchase, or activity ideas that can be done with teacher made materials?
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookbadger

FCRR.org
Old 01-14-2020, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They have printable activities...I'd be interested in knowing what you think about them.
bookbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Reading Intervention
Old 01-15-2020, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Leveled Literacy Intervention

Jolly Phonics

Fundations
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

SaraFirst

Phonemic Awareness
Old 01-15-2020, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use the Heggerty program for phonemic awareness. It is a whole group program that takes between 10-15 minutes a day.

SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

km

Fcrr
Old 01-15-2020, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have used many activities from FCRR and do like them.

I guess my frustration lies with the required curriculum materials that are used for intervention in my district. It seems like students do not make any growth so I am just wondering what programs other districts use.
km is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 01-15-2020, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Spire and Sounds Sensible... expensive but district is paying for my training. Fccr was also recommended as previous poster mentioned
mom23kids is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-15-2020, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We use Haggerty for PA as well. We previously tried Sounds Sensible and it didn't work for us at all. For phonics we use 95% group for Tier 2 and SPIRE for tier 3.

There is also an issue of time/intensity. We've tried interventions at my school for years, but were largely unsuccessful until a new P came in 3 years ago and made changes. Tier 3 is 45 minutes per day, 5 days per week, generally in a group of 3-5 students. Tier 2 is 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week, with group size varying based on need. Intervention is never cancelled for any reason and teachers who do small group interventions aren't pulled for other tasks (i.e. dealing with behaviors). We had a lot of PD on how to make the most out of this time- use of pacing, choral response, structure, etc. Students are progress monitored weekly and we meet as a data team every six weeks to move students around or change the focus of groups.

I think a lot of schools "do interventions" but they are simply not set up to do them well. Under a previous P, my sped groups were literally sometimes 11-13 kids. When I started, all students who had an IEP in the grade level came for the same 45 minute block every day- no matter what their needs were or what the IEP was for- i.e. reading only and math only kids in the same group, an ability gap of 2-3 years in each group. Tier 2 interventions were highly inconsistent and we were all pulled constantly to deal with behaviors (me) or sub (title 1). Classroom teachers received no training or materials to do interventions, and there was no common language across settings. Pretty similar story in the other buildings I've been in.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 01-16-2020, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Haley is so right. Most often things don't work because of implementation and buy in from the staff.

I've seen schools that were going to be take over by the state turn around and do better than the upper middle class schools in the same district all by having the proper leadership and removal to another school of anyone who wasn't interested in implementing the plan.

RetiredKat

interventions
Old 01-17-2020, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Google "RTI MENU, Henry County, pdf". IT'S FREE

That, along with FCRR (another freebie) may be all you need for individual or small group instruction and practice.

If you are fortunate enough to have assistants or volunteer tutors the Henry County RTI menu just might be invaluable. Extremely clear directions, all materials needed, recommended sequence for teaching the skills, along with progress monitoring charts are included. Did I mention, IT'S FREE!

RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote