Help

BusyBoard

Kids who get picked up late

>

heatherk

Kids who get picked up late
Old 01-17-2020, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What does your school do with kids who are not picked up on time? We dismiss at 3:45 and mom called to say dad would be picking up kids from school, but probably would not get there until 4:45 or 5:00. So someone from the office or admin has to entertain and supervise them until a parent arrives. We don't have an after school care to shove them in. Does this happen in other places and what happens with the kids?

heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 01-17-2020, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district would tell parent that students needed to be picked up by (# of minutes after close of classes) or DCFS would be contacted. I don't know whether they ever had to follow through, but an hour after dismissal is an unreasonable length of time to expect someone to voluntarily watch your kids.

I think that stating that the procedure would be to contact DCFS generally resulted in the parent rearranging their schedule or making arrangements with a friend or relative to pick the kids up.

A real emergency would be handled differently--perhaps a serious car accident on the way to get the kids.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

late pick-up
Old 01-17-2020, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've only ever seen minor delays, and in those cases the kids just wait in the office.

A delay that long would be handled on a case by case basis. - The response would depend on the emergency (or lack thereof).
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

All different schools...
Old 01-17-2020, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

All different at my schools:

School 1: Called police after a certain time.

School 2: Wouldn't do anything, secretaries, principal, teachers, etc. stayed to watch kids. They wouldn't send them to the after care room because they didn't want parents to throw a fit when they got charged. They also wouldn't call police because they didn't want to anger parents.

School 3: Stayed in the office with the secretary until secretary's contracted day ended. Then they went to after care and charged until the parent came.

School 4: Kids could stay as long as they wanted unsupervised. Yes, 8 year olds were staying until 6 or 7 at night unsupervised! ...glad I got out of that place. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

School 5: Kids sent to after care and charged an extra fee for not signing up ahead of time, plus the normal fee for supervision.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-17-2020, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Police are called .

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 01-17-2020, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Police would be called.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-17-2020, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Technically, we should call school police, but my P just stays with the kids until parents show up. He is a really nice guy.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-17-2020, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In a previous school, parents signed a statement upon enrollment that said they would be billed for childcare, $8 for every 15 minute increment the child was there before a certain time in the morning or after a certain time in the afternoon. Another school would call the police after a certain time. At my current school, the secretary basically provides free day care for a regular collection of kids. They hang out in the office for an hour or more every single day. It drives me crazy because we do have after care (with sliding scale fees for parents who would qualify for that) and we just let these families get away with thinking rules don't apply to them.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Late pickups
Old 01-17-2020, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The would stay in the office with secretary and P if it was a one time thing. More than twice they would start making phones calls from child’s emergency card.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 01-17-2020, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We call the police, too.

arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 01-18-2020, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Small, rural school... pretty much a case by case basis, probably as it should be. We don't have a big problem with it. Life happens and since it's not a frequent occurrence it tends to be manageable. In the situation described in the OP which is clearly not an accident or emergency, I'm not sure the school would agree to that arrangement, but there are factors such as how old the kids are.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

heatherk

Thanks
Old 01-18-2020, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks for the answers. The answers varied as I suspected. We are a small rural public school grades PK-6 and the students were K, 2nd and 3rd. Mom was really vague on the phone and ended up speaking to the nurse. This does not happen often, but often enough that I think there should be a back up plan.
Social services and the police will not pick them up. I guess the office is stuck being nice.
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Sounds like our situations are similar...
Old 01-19-2020, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I guess the office is stuck being nice.
The office person who would most likely handle this would be nice but very firm. I can hear her pleasantly saying "You'll have to make an arrangement... there isn't anyone here available... who else can you call..." I can't imagine us ever calling social services or the police but we let it be known we don't operate an after school care program. Above all, we make certain we don't "punish" the kids. I once stayed with two whose mom went to the city shopping and "forgot" she was scheduled to pick them up. We did played some games, read together... when mom showed up at 5 pm, I did NOT say "that's okay, we had fun."
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote