Help

BusyBoard

Initial sound

>

seenthelight

Initial sound
Old 01-20-2020, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím stumped, and thought no one better to ask than PT. Any tips for a student that consistently drops the initial sound when reading?

For example:
The pig played in the mud.

Student: The ig layed in the ud.

Whatís stumping me is the child sounds out p-i-g, but then blends it as ig.

seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-20-2020, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is usually a sign of poor phonemic awareness, specifically phonological memory. The student isn't able to hold all of the sounds in his brain for long enough to use them all, so the first one he said gets forgotten/dropped. I always have kids on my sped caseload who do this.

I would up the PA activities you're doing with the student, specifically with blending and segmenting and then moving on to manipulation once he can do that. You can also try additive blending, where the student adds one sound each time. For example, if the word is pig, the student would say the sounds like, "p...pi...pig." If the student is having a hard time visualizing/understanding that, use a white board and write only one sound for the student at a time. For example, write the p and ask him to say what's there, add the i and ask him to say what's there, etc. rather than having him start off with the whole word.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 01-20-2020, 11:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the tips, Haley. Are there any specific activities youíd suggest?

Itís good to know that this isnít that uncommon. Iíd never seen it before. Iíd seen kids do it that didnít know their sounds and therefore only read the ones they knew, and Iíve had kids that can sound out but cannot blend. Iíd just never seen this particular behavior before.

Keltikmom

Initial sound
Old 01-21-2020, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thinking outside the box here (from personal experience). Ask mom or dad if child ever had a traumatic injury to mouth...ran into a wall, fell off a bike, etc. I had a child who left off a lot, but not all, initial sounds.

Turns out she lost control of a motocross bike (at the age of 4) and ran into a truck tailgate. After two years of speech therapy, she was fine.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Question
Old 01-21-2020, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have you spoken to your speech pathologist about this? Does this only happen when the child reads or also when he/she speaks?

Perhaps the child has a speech problem and your speech pathologist needs to listen to the child speak.

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 01-21-2020, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Only when reading. I think Haleyís on the right track with phonological memory. When made to sound out the word, all the sounds are present. The initial sound gets lost only when blending.

Lillybabe

Word Families
Old 01-21-2020, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have had several kids have similar issues... not necessarily with every word. What I do is force them to start at the beginning when blending every word. If we were sounding out pig I'd make them say pi with the short sound before adding the g sound. When kids do it continually I use my finger to cover all but the first sound, then I slowly drag it forcing them to blend the sounds in order. A lot of kids are taught word families. Sometimes when these are taught before they are really ready to generalize words they essentially focus on the end first versus the beginning.

Does this student do any other sorts of reversals? Does he ever spell the ending sounds first? What if you help them sound out a word (without showing it to them) do they still make the same mistakes? If they are struggling to stretch them out without looking at the word then it could totally also be phonological awareness. You might also try blending only two letter words, only focusing on a few sounds, and see if that helps. Some students also struggle because they haven't really mastered all of their letter sounds yet. I have 3rd grade students who are still missing some sounds and it really shows when they try to sound out new words.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote