Help

BusyBoard

How many grades per grading period?

>

Teacherbee_4

How many grades per grading period?
Old 01-19-2020, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm curious...how many grades do you think should be taken in a quarter? What's your opinion on this?

I'm an advocate of making sure grades accurately reflect what a student knows and can do. I also understand that students learn at different paces and that it's that they master a skill, not necessarily WHEN they master a skill. I know it takes practice to master a skill and I don't grade practice. We go over it together and I expect it to be done, but I don't grade it.

However, with all that said, I tend to have more grades than less grades. I get concerned when I see teachers only putting in 1-2 grades a grading period because I feel it can be very easy for a student to have a bad day (or a lucky day) and that might not best represent what they know/can do. I don't think there is a magic number, but I am careful in making sure the grades I do enter assess end learning and that there are plenty of opportunities for students to show their mastery. Many of the teachers I have worked with only enter 1-2 grades a grading period and almost all the kids get As or high Bs. I don't think this is accurate. Not pointing fingers, but just my philosophy. I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

It depends
Old 01-19-2020, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For reading I have very few grades, but I have my notes from reading groups and reading conferences. We might work on a piece of writing for a month and then score it on a rubric. The rubrics have numerous categories for written expression on one rubric and usage and mechanics on another. I tend to have more actual grades for math. Our grading is also standards based and we don’t base grades on percentages.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

number of grades
Old 01-19-2020, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For grade 4, I typically end up with about one per week in all academics. So there are 9 grades each 9 weeks. The only one that I struggle with is social studies!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 01-19-2020, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our district set a policy. Each campus whether elementary, middle school or high school have a set number of "not more than "x" per subject. And then there is also how it is weighted: homework/classwork (40 or 30%) and assessments (60 or 70%) depending on the grade level. But for all, the assessments had the larger percentage.

Math teachers seem to take more grades, so our math teachers took a grade daily. So at the end of the week, that combined to be one grade for the daily work, and then a grade if something else like a quiz was graded in the homework/classwork category.

The district also required subjects to have at the least 3 assessments per 9 weeks. So you averaged out to about 12 - 15 grades per report period per subject.

Taking 2 grades for a subject in my district would get you in alot of hot water.
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Assessments Vary
Old 01-19-2020, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We don't give very many tests, so we don't have many grades in that sense. There is a good amount of anecdotal and work sample evidence that gets considered. Homework doesn't count towards the academic grade. We also don't have percentage based grading up through 6th grade. We do have a crazy amount of report card grades though. For my class of 23 third graders there are a total of 989 report card grades for the quarter. Double that for the fourth quarter since we then have final grades in addition to the quarter grade.

tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-19-2020, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I wouldn't even know where to begin! I'm in kinder so don't have any grades except the one on one assessment I give to see whether they've gained mastery of each standard that we report on. I will say that my own kids (jr. high and high school) have a huge range. I think it's often unfair when their whole grade rests on just a couple of big tests/assignments.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Grades
Old 01-19-2020, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach 5th and have to give at least 2 grades per week per subject. I can give more, but he minimum is 2 per week. I usually end up giving 20-25 grades. I teach only Science.
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-19-2020, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach third

-For reading I have a grade for every 1-2 weeks and I allow students to redo assignments for a better if what they did last week doesnt match what they are usually capable of. They have plenty of scores so one bad day doesnt ever sink them and in the event that it really was out of expectation for them they can still try again-and most likely take their time and try harder the second time.

-For Math I do a mid unit and an end of unit summative test and while I dont input every exit ticket every day I do input at least 2 exit tickets a week. But I have different grade books for exit tickets and tests. I give more weight to summative tests, but when a summative score is close to the grading threshold for proficient I look back to their daily assignments-did they do well on all or most other in class assignments and then just blow it the day of the test? If so then I likely will bump them up to proficient but I dont penalize them if the reverse is true and they blew it on many daily assignments but managed to "get it" by test day. I give less grace for advanced (4)-if you aren't advanced on both daily assignments and tests then you aren't advanced.

For writing it is what it is . I let them pick their 3 best pieces from their weekly writing folder for their writers portfolio. I only grade the portfolio. This became necessary because of student absences, early dismissals, and weekly speech pull out during our writing block keeping some students from finishing their writing every week. Its not Johnny's fault that he only has 3 afternoons a week to write his weekly essay instead four because of speech services pulling him out once a week and then mom pulls him out early for a dentist appointment once and for long weekends twice and because SHE has an appointment once which would leave him with 4 out of ten essays unfinished and a few others less polished because he doesn't get to be there on editing day because of speech. Ugh whatever just pick your top 3 for grading.

For science and social studies I am pretty forgiving because there are few grade so I do give participate points.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

Old 01-19-2020, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I retired this past June, but for over 40 years, I used to do one HW score per day (so when we had a "regular" schedule of five class meetings per week, there were five HW grades per week...then we went to four class meeting days per week...then to three...then to two one week and three the next...now that I'm retired, they are back to three class meetings per week...hmm...thinking about that mess reminds me why I retired (sigh...)) and one to two quiz/test grades per week...assuming, of course, that the admin had not messed with the schedule (a common and unwelcome occurrence!) and made me postpone a test or a HW assignment.
TchrFvr is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-19-2020, 10:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here is a typical week for me . . .
  • weekly grammar
  • weekly writing
  • 1 to 2 classroom assignments over week’s topic
  • 1 assessment over the standard for the week

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 01-19-2020, 11:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I must have at least one grade per subject per week. By the end of the grading period, I must have seven assessments (mix of quizzes and tests) per subject.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-20-2020, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I teach 3rd and in my elementary school we are required to have at least 9 grades per subject per grading period.

I always have a lot more in ELA and math. We had to go to weighted grades this year, per admin so I’m very cognizant of how many class work, quiz, and tests grades I have. There are always at least 3 tests, 3 quizzes, and 6 or more class work grades (usually more but that’s the standard). I don’t believe 8 year olds should be penalized if they don’t perform well on a test.

If a student receive a D or F on a quiz or test it goes home for them to redo. If it comes back, I average the new grade with the old one and change it in the grade book.

We also, district wide, aren’t allowed to enter less than a 50% in our grade book.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

abc1234evr

grades
Old 01-24-2020, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I try and at least have 7 grades per subject except for writing( I have 3 or 4). When I am giving an assignment in Science and Social Studies based on the assignment I also give a reading informational text grade.
abc1234evr is offline   Reply With Quote