Resources for Next Gen science standards? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Resources for Next Gen science standards?

>

EMO109

Resources for Next Gen science standards?
Old 01-23-2020, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We’re starting to transition to these new standards - does anyone have recommendations for resources, programs, etc that you like and think work well. I teach 4th grade, but also looking for general resources or programs we could look into schoolwide. Thanks!

EMO109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Mystery Science
Old 01-23-2020, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The grade level curriculum on Mystery Science is great! It does a great job addressing/covering some of the instructional shifts that come with the Next Generation Science Standards. I'm not sure if all of the content standards are covered, but they definitely do a good job designing lessons and units that meet those instructional shifts that come with the Next Generation Science Standards.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-23-2020, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also use mystery science and like it-BUT not all content is covered and it is missing some pieces that I feel like I need to have (assessments, reading material. full lessons plans-mystery has videos and activities but they arent full lessons). So I use Mystery but I also use generationgenius.com It covers all the 3rd grade NGSS except one-engineering for weather related hazard and I have a project that I do for that as part of my "I Survived" lit circles. The kids love both but they especially love that generation genius has kahoot games to go with each lesson and they really like watching the videos and even ask if we can watch them again. It has a free trial (2 weeks I think) so you can try it out and see what you think.

My district pays for mystery science for everyone.I know they got a big discount because they bought for the whole district. 100 a year for 1 class license

My PTA pays for Generation Generation (I requested it as a special purchase and they approved it). 1 class license is 120 a year.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 01-23-2020, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are looking into Stemscopes (I think that is what it is called).
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 01-25-2020, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use Stemscopes and I like Mystery Science so much better!

Stemscopes just seems like a bunch of unrelated activities that kids are supposed to get a lot from, but my students don't get it.

I went to a conference put on by MMSA (Maine Math and Science Alliance) and the presenter gave us a "toolkit" of different resources.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...AHISIa05w/edit

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote