Help

BusyBoard

Cutting machine for everyday use

>

MellowMoon

Cutting machine for everyday use
Old 01-26-2020, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I have a small question for everybody. What kind of cutting machine do you have in your school? We need one for everyday use. I found this thread http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=451642 but no answer. The only thought is that Cricut is not preferable for some reason.

MellowMoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Die cuts
Old 01-27-2020, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We never had a fancy electric one. We had the old fashioned manual kind. And a ton of cutting blocks: several alphabet and number fonts and styles, animals, holidays, bookmarks, flowers and trees and leaves.

Did the job.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-27-2020, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Cricut is really not a heavy-duty type of machne, which would make me think that would be a reason no to have one for whole-school use. I have one that I use for my own classroom use. I love it A couple of coworkers have Silhouette machines that they like.

Our school had a professional-grade cutting machine, but I'm not sure what brand it was or even if we still have it. It was in our technology teacher's classroom.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 01-27-2020, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have the Ellison Prestige Machine. It works great, but the dies are obscenely expensive. We would buy a few each year after the initial purchase. I just don't think it's worth the cost for the machine and dies, unless you've got unlimited funds. Also, pretty much only K-1 use it consistently.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Well, at a previous district,
Old 01-27-2020, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

we had several VariQuest modules set up and it was AWESOME!

We had the cutter, a poster printer and laminator all set up side by side. It was so amazing. It required a dedicated computer in there but that was easy. When you entered the words or phrase you wanted, it would arrange the letters anyway necessary to use the least amount of wasted paper.

You could make something on your own computer and bring it in on a drive or use their software back to add the lettering, fonts and even pictures. It could do paper, construction paper, laminated papers, vinyl or those sheets of pliable magnets.

It was super user friendly.

Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-27-2020, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Newer cricuts do cut digital files. They are pretty amazing. We just got the money to purchase one for our grade level and I'm so excited! Our school doesn't have one, but I know many teachers (including myself) that do. The school just has an Ellison die-cut. The only thing with a Cricut, or any machine similar, is you have to change out the blades and mats every once in a while, so the more often it's used the more that will have to be done.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote