Help

BusyBoard

Year round school

>

Seacrew

Year round school
Old 01-29-2020, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am wondering if anyone works for a year round school? Can you tell me what you like about it, dislike about it, and how it was transitioning from a regular school year to year round? And anything else you'd like to share about working with a district that does this? Thanks!

Seacrew is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Year round?
Old 01-30-2020, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just to clarify, by year round are you adding school days so that the students are attending more than the typical 180, or is it more of a modified calendar in which the number of days are the same, they are just arranged differently without the long summer break?

Our district used to have schools in a modified calendar.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-30-2020, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The district I worked in had year round school due to overcrowding. This meant that every time you were going off track, another group was coming back on track. So each time you went off you had to pack up your entire classroom, and when you came back you were in a new room. That part of it was awful.

The actual year round calendar, however, was fantastic. Three months on and one month off. By the time you were ready for a break you had one. You could go on vacation during non "premium" times. Break was long enough to actually feel like break, but not so long that kids lost a ton of skills.

Some tracks would finish the school year one week, and start the new school year the next week. That was really really hard.

A modified year round calendar is amazing.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Seacrew

Old 01-30-2020, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, a modified schedule. School year begins in July through June, breaks throughout. Well I think part of june and July are off though.
Seacrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-30-2020, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
The district I worked in had year round school due to overcrowding. This meant that every time you were going off track, another group was coming back on track. So each time you went off you had to pack up your entire classroom, and when you came back you were in a new room. That part of it was awful.
My district used to do this before I started with them-it sounds awful. Now we just have a modified calendar since they built more schools.

My school begins the last week of July and we have 2 weeks off in October, 1 week off in November, 2 weeks off in December/January, and two weeks off in March with just a 4 day weekend for Easter. Then we are off the second week of June and have a 7 week summer (6 for teachers-1.5 if you teach ESY).

As a teacher I love it. As was said above every time you are getting burnt out and ready for a break you get one. This is especially nice for "those classes" when they are hard to deal with for too long continuously. The same is true of the reverse. kids get a breaks so they get to be refreshed often during the year. You also have some summer too-but not as much so that hopefully summer slide will be kept to a minimum while allowing plenty of family and vacation time. There is plenty of time off at various times during the year for people to take vacations without being locked in to summer only.

One down side-parents are always adding days or even a week or two onto the two week breaks so I dont feel like the eliminate the "extra vacation based absences" like they should. If you add 3 days on to three long breaks you have just missed 5% of the school year without ever being sick or having an appointment. Some families rationalize taking even more time off for vacations. There seems to be an attitude of, "what is a few more days, you arent doing anything right before/after a break anyways". Ummm YES we are! We have a lot of breaks if we didn't do anything important right before or right after a break we would lose too much time to be able to teach all the content. After a break we hit the ground running and before a break we are trying to wrap things up-which means tests that effect your childs grade.

Another thing that can be hard is making sure you are paced/planned out careful so that you get to breaks at good places to stop in your curriculum. It takes a lot of fore thought to be sure that you dont go on a 2 week break in the final 1/4 of a math unit-early on is fine, in the middle is ok, but if you do it right at the end when there are only a few more lessons and then BOOM the test, then kids struggle and need too much refresher time to get back to where they were before the break when they were sharp. I have it down now and we always end a math unit a day ot 2 before break-those who are out on vacation adding to their break though miss the test and then they come back and test 2 weeks later without studying and then they fail.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 01-30-2020 at 08:16 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 01-30-2020, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have not taught in such a situation, but the community where we lived when my son started kindergarten was year round schools. The area grew so fast that they couldn't build enough schools.

The students were divided into 4 groups by neighborhood. Calendar was 45 days on, 15 off, with 3 groups attending and one off.

Students got a 3 week vacation every season (or longer if their off-track time backed up to something like Christmas break).

It worked well for the younger students and, as far as I could see, for their teachers. Breaks scattered through the year, but not so long that big reviews were necessary to recover lost skills.

Teachers who wanted to earn extra money often subbed while they were off, so well-qualified subs were generally available. A few teachers had students from all 4 groups in one classroom and taught all year, except for a winter break, Thanksgiving, a week or so in the summer--and their income was about 33% higher. These might be teachers of some special group, such as gifted or SpEd.

And yes, they did need to pack up their classrooms 4 times a year. You would have to be organized. Maybe the incentive not to just keep everything is a plus!
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 02-07-2020, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I work at one!
School begins mid July and ends early June (5-6 week summer break). There were 3 week long breaks in fall, winter, & spring.
Most teachers love it, because there's always a break to look forward to, but it is hard on some parents.
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote