Help

First Grade

Heggerty phonics curriculum

>

linda2671

Heggerty phonics curriculum
Old 02-08-2020, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone here use Heggerty phonics? How do you like it?

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-08-2020, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you mean the phonemic awareness curriculum, we use it (if there's a separate phonics curriculum, I haven't heard of it). We used to use 95% group PA which is a whole lot of prep and materials to deal with. Heggerty is so easy- 0 prep- you just open the book and do that day's activities. I refer to them as "listening warm ups" with kids. It covers a lot each day.

I'm a sped teacher and had found success with going down to lower levels for my struggling learners- i.e. my 1st group is currently doing the pre-k curriculum. I was really liking it and then recently hit a wall where the activities suddenly got much more difficult and they can no longer do them. I've honestly always struggled with teaching PA. IDK what to do if students simply can't hear it. I asked our district "reading expert" who brought all of this and she just kept saying I needed to go down to lower level skills . Yeah, they can do those. They can't do the next steps. I'm thinking about pulling out 95% again, but I had the same situation there- I would teach the same concepts over and over again (with visuals, manipulatives, and direct instruction- which Heggerty doesn't have) and they just couldn't hear it. That said, my 2nd grade group is still going strong using the K level curriculum. You probably wouldn't have these difficulties in a gen ed setting.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Thanks Haley
Old 02-08-2020, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach first grade. I wonder if we would have those issues with our lower students. It sounds like a good program for the general population.

Lillybabe

Haley
Old 02-08-2020, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have you thought about taking a break from PA for a bit? Do some other sort of fun listening activity and then come back to it. I had a kid who could not decode 3 letter words no matter what I did. We tried all sorts of things and even if I stretched out the sounds he just couldn't hear it. Over the summer, somehow it clicked. He came back this year and started getting it right away. I've had other kids where similar things happened. I moved on to a harder skill, taught a totally different skill they needed, or reviewed easier skills. Then, when I came back to it... they magically had it. My theory is some kids need time for things to sort of simmer before they get it.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

SaraFirst

Heggerty
Old 02-09-2020, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have had success with it in my first grade classroom. I do have some inclusion students who have difficulty with it though. It can also be difficult for the whole class when a new trickier skill is introduced but they usually get the hang of it after a few exposures.

SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Thank you for your help.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That sounds encouraging.
Nvnv

Nvnv

I love it
Old 02-16-2020, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use the pa program. I absolute love it. Once you get the students trained to do the hand movements (roller coaster, bubble gum, chopping... etc) they really make incredible gains in the pa skills. I see improvement in sounding out words, reading and writing.