Help

BusyBoard

Students who don't know their place in the reading

>

SoCalTeach

Students who don't know their place in the reading
Old 02-13-2020, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Reconsidered posting. Thank you to those that replied.

Last edited by SoCalTeach; 02-13-2020 at 04:35 PM..
SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 02-13-2020, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Try "we'll come back to you later." Then do just that.
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 02-13-2020, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My answer used to be: give a participation grade. Take off 5 points every time they donít know where they are supposed to be in the reading.

Now, my answer is a question, why donít they know? I work with a student after school that has a lot of trouble reading. The studentís eyes go all over the page. This is an older child and Iíve had to resort back to tracking and using a line highlighter. I can easily see this student not knowing their place in an in class reading selection. So, are they genuinely lost or are they goofing off? Goofing off? Give a consequence every single time. Genuinely lost? Time to start looking for strategies to help the child.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 02-13-2020, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not a practice that I would use. The last thing I want to do is listen to another student mangle text. Sounds like a version of round robin reading, which we know is not effective. Why not have them read with a partner or use think, pair, share, jigsaw, or any one of the more effective strategies?
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-13-2020, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was sometimes the kid who didn't know the place. The reason was because I was totally bored listening to other kids stumble over words. I just kept on reading and you'd find me pages ahead. I seldom got caught because I sort of kept track of where the class was, but I can guarantee I wasn't listening.

TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

on task reading
Old 02-15-2020, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Not a practice that I would use. The last thing I want to do is listen to another student mangle text. Sounds like a version of round robin reading, which we know is not effective.
Often times we do it because the curriculum calls for it and we are told to follow our curriculum. Whenever I see someone ask for help with a method I usually try to help them or say nothing rather than criticizing the method they are asking about since many of us dont get to choose everything we do and every method we use in the classroom. Often those things are decided for us and we are just trying to make them work out as well as possible.

Socalteach-those who are never on the right page/spot when its there turn to read I usually suggest that they seem to be distracted and so I tell them to take an independent reading break and finish the book on their ow at their seat. Then I give them a handful of "reflection post its" where they need to write something that show they were using that days focus-(like summarizing the text to check for understanding before moving on, a doodle about what happening on that page if we are working on visualizing, a list of words they had trouble with and had to "chunk" or use another method to decode, ect). I collect the post-its at the end and ask the student how it went and what they can to do be more focused the next time we meet to read as a small group-they then have to write their focusing strategy on an index card and use it as book mark until we meet again and can try using the focusing strategy.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote