Help

Career Decisions

Give it another try??

>

MsIG

Give it another try??
Old 02-12-2020, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

2016 was my first (and only) year teaching. I started teaching through an alternative teaching program, so it was technically an "internship". I had no teaching background whatsoever. It was horrible experience to say the least. I had no support from admin, and the teachers in my grade level were very hostile towards each other. I think that I may have just been in a "bad" school. I was miserable and resigned before the year ended. Since then I've been working for an engineering firm doing data entry work, and I am not feeling fulfilled. I'm wanting to give teaching another try, but I am honestly scared. Has anyone quit and came back, and was it better?

MsIG is offline   Reply With Quote

itaintright

itaintright

Your experience is almost like mine!
Old 02-12-2020, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I went through an alternative route program too! During my first year, I quit a horrible district and felt perhaps teaching wasn't for me. Not to be negative, but I'm currently in a district that, in my opinion, is similar to my first year district. It is "tolerable" and I am doing my best to stay until the school year is over to gain the experience and move on. I only planned to stay one year. I think if teaching is calling you back for another chance, try it again! A different school/district and even grade level can make all the difference.

The last teaching experience you had is in the past along with the hostile teachers and non supportive admin. It's been almost 4 years since you taught so it may be worth it to try again. Not sure if subbing is an option to get your feet wet without jumping all the way in. My area pays well for certified subs.

I would advise you to do your research and due diligence on any district you are considering. Talk to as many people as you know. Research the district and the schools. Look at the Dept. of Education website for the state you are in to find information on districts and schools. In my first two teaching positions, I did not do any research and it hit me hard!

I hope this information was helpful!

MsIG

Thank you.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your reply and inforrmation. I'm definitely going to take time my making the decision, and as you mentioned do my research.

broomrider

MsIG
Old 02-20-2020, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm wondering if you'd be able to take some education courses, even one a semester, to give you more confidence about managing behaviors and dealing with curriculum. Those are often the two biggest hurdles for first year teachers.

I'll not pretend that education classes give anyone all the skills and knowledge to be a teacher. Quite a lot of teaching is experience and that only comes with time.

I taught about 40 years and often felt that I ought to give back the salary from my first three to five years. I also wanted to track down my students from then and explain that I finally figured out most of what I wish I'd known before and could we do that grade/topic again.

The first year of teaching anything and I've had several first years in different areas and grades during my career is overwhelming, scary, exhausting, confusing, etc. etc. Administrators are also generally overwhelmed and seem AWOL when needed most. We like to blame the boss, but I think it's more about the system for all of us, even principals.

If teaching is calling you again, the better prepared you are to venture forth the more confident you will be. It would be great if you could find a way to get your feet wet with teaching. If your job allows, maybe volunteer an hour or two in a school. If not, perhaps do some coaching or teaching at a youth center to feel more comfortable around groups of kids and see how to present information to them.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

MsIG

Thank you.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That is great advice! Thank you for that. I do have several years of volunteer experience helping my husband coach our kids' soccer teams, but I could benefit from more classroom experience. Thank you again.