Help

Substitute Teachers

Nothing Says I Love You...

>

mommysubs

Nothing Says I Love You...
Old 02-14-2020, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

...like coming in to work and looking at all the staff mailboxes, including custodial and cafeteria staff mailboxes, with a valentine tucked into each of them. Then your eyes wander over to the substitute mailboxes...naturally empty. Not worthy. Another day, another snub. Feels great to be so appreciated, as usual.

Then I get to my first assignment, a meeting coverage. The teacher is still there and she talks down to me like I'm a babbling idiot. Also, she doesn't trust a "sub" to be in there alone with her kids, (who are merely doing mind-numbing chromebook activities), so she puts a special ed teacher in the room to monitor me and make sure I don't screw things up just by breathing the same air as everyone else. Clearly substitutes are stupid. Clearly we are uneducated. Clearly the "sub" title really means that we are "sub"human as well and it's ok to treat us as such.

Honestly, if most of the "professionals" in this district weren't related to each other or married to someone in the district, they'd probably lack the "popularity quotient" to obtain a shiny high-paying job themselves. It's become rather clear to me that intelligence is not even a factor in how most of the individuals where I work are hired. It does not seem to be a desirable trait.

Then on the one short break I had for lunch, I had to use the time to explain to one teacher I had subbed for earlier in the week why her severely autistic and agitated student wasn't able to complete the assignment she set out. Seriously...I need my own spot on the wall at this school that reads, "Bang head here!" Feels great to be at home now on a Friday looking at a nice long weekend away from the horse and pony show of "professionals" who don't know which way is up. I hope you all had a happy Valentine's Day! I know I did when the day was over and I could come home to my family!

Last edited by mommysubs; 02-14-2020 at 07:17 PM..
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-14-2020, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've never seen a mailbox for substitutes. What would be in it?
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 02-14-2020, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry you felt so unloved at the school today. That was kind of rude.
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

sila

Old 02-14-2020, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Happy Valentines Day to you and all substitute teachers too
What you told is truth
It is not an easy profession .
But the dist does not understanding that .

They increased the pay for every single employee in district
They forget to raise at least few dollars for substitutes .
From many years ,home price increased.Rent is higher .Food price is up .
But sub pay stays same .

Still they demand to complete teaching certifications or renew it .
Take safety or professional development classes .

It is really sad truth .
Take care mommysub .
Relax in weekend .
sila is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 02-15-2020, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yeah...you're not alone. It really is amazing how school staff overlook the subs (for me, Teacher's Day is the worst day to be snubbed). I've never seen a sub mailbox either, but the fact that they have one makes the snub even more obvious! What would it hurt to put a few Valentine's cards in there for the subs? Seriously?

In my experience, the kids often pull through though. Yesterday I subbed with a 2nd grade class that had a little Valentine's Day party and treat exchange at the end of day. Several brought treats for their regular teacher. But some made a point of offering me treats too. . Sure it was just lollipops and kid candy, but I was really touched by their thoughtfulness. Funny how little kids can be kinder and more mature than the adults!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 02-15-2020 at 12:49 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Thank You
Old 02-16-2020, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you everyone for your replies. Makes me feel much better to know that we're together in this. I don't know why districts feel like they need to "snub the sub" but that seems to be the common theme in any district I've worked.

Sublime--As for the sub mailboxes, those are for the building subs. There are two of us in the school where I work. We are basically contracted employees like anyone else. Usually the mailboxes are for added responsibilities we get in the morning such as handing out papers in homerooms or if teachers leave us lesson plans there. Sometimes there are memos that go out to all staff and we get those too.

luv2teach2017--That is so sweet to hear about the kids offering you candy! You are right in that the students are oftentimes much more caring than the adults in the building. I work with older kids and I usually bring them in candy because they don't really do anything special for the kids in the middle school unless they are one of the "popular kids" who gets a carnation or special valentine from an admirer at lunch time. I don't want them to feel snubbed like I usually do on a daily basis, so I try to make my students feel included. Most of the kids were nice and thanked me for the candy. But then I was also "thanked" by kids who balled up their candy wrappers and threw them on the floor.

sila--It is 100% the truth. Substitutes seem to have greater responsibilities every school year but without any benefits and at the same poverty-level pay rate. And like you said, many of us are certified teachers and are expected to keep up with all the training, etc. but we are treated like uneducated high school drop-outs by admin as well as other staff. Makes me wish I never even went to college I would have been better off taking a few civil service exams and not having the student loan debt. No one wants to hire a lady who chose family over career for 5 years until her children were old enough to go to school. We're all supposed to drop our kids directly from the womb into daycare and continue to work, or lose the chance of having a meaningful career forever. I don't care...if given the chance to do it all over again I'd still choose to stay home with my kids. I hope you are having a good weekend. Spending time at home with my kids is sometimes the only bright spot in this line of work.

JanetL--Thank you. Honestly the valentine thing was just the last straw after 100 school days of being used and abused. For starters, being stuck with a violent student for a month and a half as his one to one aide after being told it would only be for a week. They ended up kicking the kid out of school when I had to call in one day because I was home with pneumonia. Guess not a single other person in a school that graduates 550 kids a year could handle him. Then I was promised higher pay for planning and teaching 2 months of 8th grade math only to be slapped in the face after the 2 months were up and told umm nope we're not really going to pay you for all that work...here's your standard issue bag of circus peanuts now go toot toot to your next circus act... Yes it's time this clown got out of the circus and found a place where she could at least be treated with a sliver of dignity.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend, and know that you are appreciated, even if the pompous baboons you work for will never tell you. As for me, I'm on a quest for a new job. Hoping my search will lead to a better situation all around for myself and my family, fingers crossed!

Last edited by mommysubs; 02-16-2020 at 10:37 AM..

bodhimom

Old 02-16-2020, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hope you get a new job. I know I'm keeping my eyes and ears open. I already looked on edjoin, this morning. I wouldn't stay in a job I hated. It isn't worth it. I don't mind subbing, but it isn't for everyone, and it's a far cry from being a regular classroom teacher, or whatever they're called, these days.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Sounds like
Old 02-16-2020, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Either you need a break or to find a different job, because it sounds like you have some long-standing unhappiness with your current position that is edging toward bitterness. Iím sorry you feel that way, but also feel that it is within yourself to change to her situation.

Iíve never heard of subs getting a mailbox. They are not permanent fixtures with a job position, but I guess some districts must do it that way. We do have kind of a cluster of subs that often are in our building or are the first folks we call, but they still donít have mailboxes, because there is not a reason to have them.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 02-16-2020, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

bodhimom--Thank you for your understanding and support. Subbing has admittedly been better at other districts for me than this one. I took this job because it is a daily position for the duration of the school year. But like others have said on this forum, subbing is merely a "between jobs" type of situation. Right now it keeps me on my childrens' school schedule, but I am searching for something better, even if I do have to look outside of education. I hope you and I both find new employment in this new year.

MissESL--Yes, I plan on getting a new job rather soon, as was indicated in the thread. This is a forum for substitute teachers, but I'm glad you could stop by and represent your side of the coin. The only "permanent fixture" in any building I am aware of would be the brick and mortar itself. At least in the schools where I've worked, everyone is expendable. Honestly, a "sub" job is often more secure than the job of someone making $60,000+ a year. Districts ALWAYS have immediate openings for certified teachers to substitute in their schools. Many districts, like corporations, would rather pay less for the same effort. A local district just cut over 150 jobs of individuals making more than a first year teacher to "close a budget gap". Many districts around here look to fill the positions of "permanent fixtures" with an eager batch of highly qualified teachers (aka certified subs) who they can pay much less. And yes, mailboxes and e-mails for individuals who report to work in a building on a daily basis are kind of essentials no matter where you work, whether you are a hardworking underpaid custodian, a contracted sub who reports daily and does everyone's job in the span of a week, or even an overpaid consultant teacher.

Last edited by mommysubs; 02-16-2020 at 05:12 PM..

SubMan

Old 02-17-2020, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

On Valentine's day I was reading support at a school known for it's snob-ish teachers. Subs are so hard to come by for this school that the principal polled subs as to why we don't take jobs at the school.

As I ate lunch I quietly sat off to the side as I always do at this school. I listened to the teachers plan their weekly bar-crawl and at what bar should the Uber pick them up and where they were going to leave their cars. Or about their daughter's romance with the young doctor she's moved in with.

Then there was the usual banter about "bad subs" when there were several in the room (really makes me want to sub there). I was told about several jobs on Aesop (yeah, I see them) and to pick them up if I was available (I will if there is nothing else).

I said nothing, just sat and listened. It doesn't bother me that there were no cards or candy for me. Parties were the last hour or so of the day so I went and helped out in the life skills room. Teacher and aides were appreciative of the extra set of hands.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

I think it STINKS!
Old 02-17-2020, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

With this explanation:
Quote:
As for the sub mailboxes, those are for the building subs. There are two of us in the school where I work. We are basically contracted employees like anyone else.
It is totally uncalled for! If it was a casual daily sub, it is bad enough but she is a full-time employee--with her own mailbox. The valentines should have been for everyone. She is a teacher just like everyone in the classrooms.

I don't interact with many subs in my present situation but go to bat for my paras in similar cases. I hate that for you.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 02-17-2020, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

SubMan--Thank you for your reply. I'm glad someone showed you appreciation at the end of the day at least. Anytime I independently go out of my way to help out with anything extra like a lunch duty or relieving someone in the detention room or the library, it's generally not regarded with any thanks or sign of appreciation, but rather with expectation. Knowing that I did help during a time of need is generally what keeps me positive. I try to stay out of the faculty room where I work now, but the "bar-crawl" banter was certainly a thing where I used to work, at the school where my children currently go. I subbed there as a per-diem before my children started school and couldn't bring myself to continue when they did actually start school. I used to sit there quietly in the staff room and listen to the primary teachers bash this mother or that for having a child with a disability and deciding to have more children. My favorite was hearing them bad-mouth families who were poor in the district and make fun of the children of those families and how they were dressed, how they smelled, etc. Then they would talk about what bar they wanted to meet up at after school. I would just sit there and shudder to know that we lived in district and my own children would soon be subject to these individuals.

And now I get to experience these individuals on the other side as a parent. My son's current teacher (one I formerly remember as one of the staff room gossips and barflies) picked on him for being quiet in class and "having a blinking problem" in an e-mail to my husband and I. Our son, who is well-behaved and kind, tells us of how she humiliates him in front of his peers daily. The principal has done nothing after multiple meetings about the teacher as well as a very violent classroom situation where our son has been hit with classroom furniture, toys, fists, and has to endure the daily scary and disruptive screaming tantrums of his very behavioral peers (which is supposedly the "new norm" now as we were told by the principal). After begging again and again that our son be removed from the harmful and unsafe classroom environment with admin consistently refusing, homeschooling WILL be happening in the not-so-distant future.

GoodEnough85--I wish I worked in your district. I worked with a few teachers in the past who were like you, and I can tell that you are a bright light at your school. Your students as well as your co-workers, are blessed!

Last edited by mommysubs; 02-17-2020 at 06:24 PM..