Help

Daily 5

Daily 5

>

oldtonew

Daily 5
Old 05-22-2016, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in the early stages of looking at Daily 5 so I have LOTS of questions. I don't want to invest the time or $ if I cannot convince my team or principal (both must buy into it) that this is valuable. I have used traditional centers and have found it to be busy work not to mention the prep time in changing them out. I was initially drawn to Daily 5 because it isn't worksheet filled busy work.

Question 1: My district utilizes a balanced literacy framework that has "units" with mentor texts. How would this work with Daily 5?

Question 2: How do I convince my principal that it is rigorous and that we will need time to introduce the Daily 5 before we start pulling guided reading groups?

Question 3: Since we have a "program" that is mandatory for guided reading groups, is Daily 5 useable?

oldtonew is offline   Reply With Quote

krazykaye

Old 05-23-2016, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Daily 5 is a framework so your curriculum can be supported. I use a basal and guided reading books. While I work in my guided reading groups, kids are doing read to self (from their book boxes), word work (phonics from your reading series), work in writing, listen to reading and read to someone. You spend 6 weeks building their stamina so they can be successful once you start your groups.

I don't know anyone who can start guided reading groups without training your students what to do, where to do it and how to do it so they don't interrupt you and your groups.

I use the Daily 5 framework for writer's workshop and math.

Go to the sisters website for more information. I do know there is a ton of free stuff on Teachers Pay Teachers as well.
krazykaye is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Welcome oldtonew!
Old 05-25-2016, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Glad to see you here and that you're taking a long look at Daily 5. You raise important questions that administrators don't always understand. I firmly believe that if you put the work into the first six weeks of training the students to do EXACTLY what you want them to do, you will be successful. And I also firmly believe that if you don't build that stamina and really practice the routines, you won't feel successful. You can't teach and "put out fires" at the same time. Yet by rushing that can be exactly what you do.

I absolutely know you can run guided reading AND D5 beautifully together. I urge you to read the books, visit the website, and explore on line to see what others are doing. I tweaked the suggestions to fit my room and my students -- for example, I didn't have them listen to reading but one of their sessions was Meet with Teacher instead. THAT is the time to do your guided reading or writing or conferencing, etc.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

t-e-a-c-h-e-r

Old 05-25-2016, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Welcome Anansi!!

I completely agree with the responses above. I've been using it for 4 yrs in 1st grade and the kids feel in control of their learning! I love that!!!

Good luck!
t-e-a-c-h-e-r is offline   Reply With Quote

alicej

Daily 5
Old 06-09-2016, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used it for 7 years and loved it. The time it takes to prep in the beginning is well worth it. Our district now even offers it for training incorporated into our Balanced Literacy Training. At our campus all our 1st, 2nd and some of our Kinder and 3rd grade teachers use it. It is great because once you have trained them on how to use the choices, the class can practically run itself, except for the mini lessons.

alicej is offline   Reply With Quote

42inFirst

Books? Websites?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Can you recommend some books or resources to consult for incorporating Daily 5 with guided reading and writer's workshop? We use Journeys and I'd like to learn about this more for 1st grade.
42inFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

books and websites
Old 06-11-2016, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The Daily 5: Fostering Literacy in the Elementary Grades Feb 1, 2014
by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser

The book is available at amazon for $17.95. It clearly lays out how to use the daily 5 framework.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
alicej
Old 09-11-2016, 02:10 PM
This message has been deleted by alicej. Reason: dup