School Mental Health

Legal Question

>

Cantukid

Cantukid

Legal Question
Old 05-30-2016, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is there some organization or entity that one could report violations of legal matters in public schools as it relates to students such as not following IEPS, obvious safety and security issues, teacher to student ratios (mainly in an early childhood setting)? And I don't mean the school board because they could be in cahoots. I'm just curious because I know many times teachers are afraid to speak out but what if they could do so anonymously to an independent authority?

eeza

legal rights
Old 05-30-2016, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know that parents have the right to file a complaint with their state's education department. I don't know if teachers have the same ability.

I do know that these things do occur in the schools and it really frustrates me. I know that a common reason for these incidences is a lack of funding. While that may be true, I think that people are just spread too thin, which really is a lack of funding.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

teachingtall

Due Process
Old 05-30-2016, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is not much of any type of oversight that teachers can report to. Unions can sometimes do something but often they are just as useless.

I would check with your state board of education and see what they have in the way of oversight. The biggest way to get anything is to have parents start talking to each other, to the press, and their state reps.

Finally, you could go to the media/press and they will often keep you a confidential source, but you have to have a lot of facts and data before they will do anything...
teachingtall is offline   Reply With Quote