High School Social Work Job advice, please! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

School Mental Health

High School Social Work Job advice, please!

>

Sowkat

High School Social Work Job advice, please!
Old 11-07-2016, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I am interviewing for a high school social work position in two days. I have mostly K-8 experience for the past 10 years, and about 9 years ago, I worked in an alternative high school. I have ultimately always wanted to be in a high school, and prefer that population, however, in spite of applying to high schools in the past, that door was never opened to me. Now it is!!!

Do you have any tips for me for the interview? Anything that I should highlight, or any common terms I should use? I have implemented Restorative Justice programs, worked with middle school students through all manner of crises (suicidal ideation, cutting, drug use, gang involvement, etc.) and want to make sure that they know that I am "on it" with these types of concerns. Anything else you could suggest?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Sowkat is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

social work interview
Old 11-07-2016, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
I have implemented Restorative Justice programs, worked with middle school students through all manner of crises (suicidal ideation, cutting, drug use, gang involvement, etc.) and want to make sure that they know that I am "on it" with these types of concerns.
This is great experience! You might want to also be familiar with any programs at the school (e.g., PBIS...which I am not a fan of, RTI, SST, SPED, 504s). I'll add to this if I think of something else. Best of luck!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-07-2016, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Welcome to the board (and to PT)!!! I agree with eeza, you have some fantastic experience that is really valuable to a high school. I also agree with eeza on the things you should familiarize yourself with.

Also, I would see what else you can find out about that particular high school. Then think about how your skills and experience can be put to good use. For example, if the school in question has a drug problem, how can your skill set be beneficial? Of course you have to be careful how you present this-- you don't want to focus on the problems the school is having. But try to personalize a little "sell" to the school so you can fit that stuff in when you get the chance.

Look up the facts about the school on the district web site. The more you know about the school and the programs they use and the issues they face, and the more you can sell yourself as a great addition to the team, the better your chances are.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote