Help

School Mental Health

School Social Worker?

>

SwissTeacher2

School Social Worker?
Old 04-03-2017, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone a school social worker? Or know what they do? I'm going to start my MSW in the fall and although I'm going from teaching to social work, being a school social worker hadn't really crossed my mind. My district doesn't have social workers so I'm not familiar with their role in the school system (even though my district is one of the top 15 largest school districts in the US). What exactly do they do?

SwissTeacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-04-2017, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi! Welcome to the board

I have worked in a few different school districts (always in Title I schools) and only one of those districts had a social worker. The social worker was basically a home/school liaison. She did adaptive assessments for special education (Vineland or ABAS interviews) and connected families with community resources. She also went out to do home visits for truant kids and families in crisis. In fact, I'd say the vast majority of her time was spent doing home visits for one reason or another. She enjoyed it, but it was a ton of parent contact and parents didn't always want that contact.

We also had special high level counseling positions in each school (state requirement). In order to get one of those jobs, you had to be an MSW or MFT (marriage family therapy -masters). So that's how I've seen MSW in schools.

Congratulations on this next step in your life!! Very exciting
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote