Help

School Mental Health

Staff wellness

>

TeachNFriend

Staff wellness
Old 11-25-2017, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The morale at our school is VERY low. Part of it is due to a group of critical staff members who spread negativity like wildfire, but another part is simply work overload and mental exhaustion. Iíd like to suggest some changes to my P for next year but Iím not sure what makes a happier work environment. What can I suggest that would ease teacher stress next year? Personally, I think we have too many balls in the air and people feel like they canít keep up with all the new initiatives. Not sure how to let P know sheís overloading us without her feeling attacked. We have a good relationship, and Iíve worked with her for many years so I feel like I wonít feel any backlash, but I also donít want to hurt her feelings. All her ideas do come from a well intentioned place.

Any suggestions?

TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

low morale
Old 11-25-2017, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
Personally, I think we have too many balls in the air and people feel like they canít keep up with all the new initiatives. Not sure how to let P know sheís overloading us without her feeling attacked.
Maybe something like "There have been a lot of changes this year and the staff feel like they have't had time to dig deep into each of them. Would it be possible to narrow the focus so teachers feel proficient at one thing before moving on to the next? Maybe ____ would be a good place to start." It presents the problem and offers a solution. It also makes it sound like she can be helpful to the staff.

Tone makes a big difference, but it sounds like you are good with the principal. Best of luck!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

Good wording
Old 11-26-2017, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like that angle eeza. Iím writing that down . Crossed fingers it works, we could all benefit from a more narrowed focus next year. There are so many things going on this year it leaves my head spinning!

eeza

low morale
Old 11-26-2017, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do hope it goes well! Let me know what comes of the conversation with your principal.

Ucan

Well Stated
Old 11-28-2017, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Why not simply send your P. a friendly email along the lines of your post with a few minor changes? If she's receptive to group discussion, perhaps she would consider allocating some time at your next staff meeting to begin the dialogue.

At one school I was at, the P. acknowledged the problem of teacher overload and declared a moratorium on new initiatives (lasted a year). The most common missing link is the administrator's ongoing failure to actively to "protect" the staff from mounting unnecessary busywork making such a moratorium just a temporary reprieve. Afterwards, it's usually back to more of the same, which IMO contributes to the failure of our schools. Good luck!

Last edited by Ucan; 11-28-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

Went well
Old 12-08-2017, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had a great conversation with P today. Eeza, I used your suggestion about narrowing the focus so we could dig deeper and she seemed responsive to my thoughts. I hope it makes a difference for next year. Even if she doesnít jump on any new projects or suggest more committee work I think weíd all breathe a sigh of relief

eeza

low morale
Old 01-23-2018, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know this is over a month later, but I'm glad that my suggestion helped, TeachNFriend!