Help

Substitute Teachers

Substitute teacher removed from job

>

J-Mo

Substitute teacher removed from job
Old 08-31-2018, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey guys! So I had my very first substitute teaching job last week. I have been a student teacher candidate for the last 2 years, and I have a 4 month gap between my last Master's in Ed class and my student teaching, and I already finished the credential classes. So I decided to start subbing to get experience, and to make a little money.

I purposely chose my first job to be and IA and to be a half day, so I could ease into this new sub life. It was for a sev/mod sped pre-k (preschool) class at a public school. I honestly thought I was doing really well. I thought the teacher liked me, and the other aides too. I felt I was helpful when needed.

At the end of the day, I left my name, email, and number with the teacher and said, "I left my contact info with you. This was my first day subbing, and I would really appreciate any feedback, positive or negative, to help me become the best sub I can be. If you have the time that is." She smiled at me and said I was very helpful and effective, and did great.

Days later, I saw another sub position open for the same class, and I picked it up. Later that day, I got an email saying I was removed from the position (this district uses Aesop for their sub-pool). We were told that either a sub job can be canceled, meaning the teacher no longer needed his/her class to be covered, or we can be removed. When removed, it can be due to a few things, such as the teacher doesn't like you, the teacher doesn't think you are appropriate or suitable, or the teacher has a preferred sub they would rather take the job.

I'm hoping so bad it was the last one. I keep on playing that day over in my head, and I'm realizing, I might have been too much. Too playful with the sped kids, too loud and animated, and even too confident in myself amongst a new group of teachers. But man, those kids loved me, and really listened to me! Sigh...

Anyways, I'm not trying to be neurotic (even though I am...), but, how many of you have been removed from a job? Is it normal? I know the school didn't block me because I still have a 2nd grade class job coming up there. Let me know what you think.

I'm probably overthinking it.

Last edited by J-Mo; 09-01-2018 at 03:08 PM..
J-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote

Ladybug1952

Ladybug1952

Overthinking....
Old 09-01-2018, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes you are overthinking this.

My experiences.....show up for aide position, walking down the hallway I see the aide and she says....OMG what are you doing here today ? Its for tomorrow......well turns out she typed it in Aesop wrong, I was removed from that job.

Pick up elementary art half day.......day before gets cancelled on me, days later see the teacher and she says....so sorry, my doctor appt got changed.

Aide position-full day-get removed from job, get a call sorry child is going to be absent that day.

Just want to give you a couple of pointers that have worked for me.......I never ever sought out feedback, also I never ever gave any feedback on Aesop. I saw no benefit of doing that whatsoever. Your work will speak for itself.

Secretaries are the lioness at the gate, no matter what.....do not complain about one thing to them. Keep negative thoughts to yourself, also no complaints in the lounge either. Just be polite and friendly.

MaineSub

It's easy to do...
Old 09-01-2018, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But I agree, you're probably over-thinking it.

I don't know about Aesop but getting removed from a job may be less about you and more about something else. I remember, for example, being on the other end of one... the sub assigned got removed and I was put in her place. I knew the kids quite well, they were going on a field trip, I had lots more experience, etc. It was nothing against the original sub. The decision was based on what would be best for the kids in that situation.

The good news was she still got to work, just in a different position.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

It could just be this
Old 09-01-2018, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They no longer needed a sub. That just happened to me. I was to go in for a half day for a teacher who had a doctor's appt. The appt. got changed, so she no longer needed a sub. I wasn't available for the day that it was changed to, so lost that job. This happens more than you think. Just keep accepting jobs. It will get easier.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 09-01-2018, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been subbing for a long time, perhaps too long. You weren't blocked from the school, and that's a good sign.

Subs have jobs cancelled on them all the time, and it can happen for a number of reasons. Some teachers and school secretaries will call, text, or email subs when this occurs and tell them why. This is a classy and considerate thing to do, but it usually doesn't happen. When I have to cancel a job, which doesn't happen often, I usually send an email giving a reason (usually illness). Teachers do appreciate it.

Aesop's choice of wording is very poor when it tells you that you've been removed from a job. Don't take it personally. It could mean that the teacher doesn't like you and wants somebody else, but I've found that it's usually for a different reason. Most of the time, the teacher had a meeting or workshop scheduled, and it was cancelled or rescheduled--that has been my experience.

Having jobs cancelled with no reason given is part of the subbing experience. It happens to every sub. Don't overthink it, and don't worry about it. If a teacher or school does it to you all the time, exclude them.

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 09-01-2018, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Everyoneís already said it, and yes, youíre overthinking this. I can see why, since it happened almost right out of the gate for you. It really does happen to all of us.
Just this week, one of my jobs was cancelled at the 11th hour b/c the P cancelled the teacherís training. This is a school where Iíve subbed for seven years, and they give me so much work that it all evens out in the end.

You will be at the same school again for the 2nd grade job, so just do your best and all will be well. Trust me, word would have already gotten around if you were a stink-o sub. Since youíre a newbie, chances are very good that this school has some preferred subs (most schools do). That was the case when I started, but I made sure I outworked most of the other subs and brought more value to the table. Now Iím one of the preferred subs, for which Iím very grateful.

It just takes some time, so have patience while you build rapport and garner experience. Good luck to you this school year, and let us know how the next job at that school goes.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

J-Mo

Old 09-01-2018, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you so much for your reply! I guess what got my over-thinking mind going was that I knew if the email had said, "This job has been canceled," then it would have been less personal, and the teacher no longer needed his/her class covered. But for me, it said, "This substitute has been removed from this job." I found a forum that had an insider say, if it says you have been removed (instead of the job has been canceled), and you don't know why, then you may have cause for concern.

The things you can read online... probably just making things worse for me. Luckily I have a friend who is a teacher at the school, and she told me to not worry. She says it happens a lot, especially for SPED classes where they have more preferred subs both the teachers and the kids are used to.

Thanks again guys! While I did over think the whole thing, I think on my next Instr. Aide job I'll try to be a little more low-key and do as the others do, haha! I have a big personality, and it only gets bigger when I'm around kids. I know that can be off-putting around adults that I'm meeting for the first time
J-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 09-01-2018, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I found 2 jobs on aesop the first week of school, accepted them, and was then removed because the meetings they had scheduled for those days were cancelled. Happens all the time. A teacher was to put me in for all of next week but accidentally sent it out without my name and somebody else took it. She then had to "remove that sub" and correct the assignment by putting it in my name. So another sub probably was disappointed. Like all the posts above, don't take it personally. Meetings change, Dr. appts. change, and then we even cancel jobs for various reasons and the teachers probably don't care (as long as the job wasn't a personal request). I know all this and I still am disappointed when I am "removed" from a job!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

One last thought
Old 09-02-2018, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The district Iíve subbed in for 7 years always phrases a cancellation in this way: ďThe substitute has been removed from the jobĒ. Youíre not alone in getting that poorly worded message.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 09-03-2018, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes, overthinking, as others have said. Someone in my district just got removed from a two-day job, and a one-day job the following week, for the same teacher. They were removed from the job because it was given to me. The teacher texted me and asked if I was available, I said yes, she said "great! I'll put it in the system when I get home." Well I forgot about it till the next day when I suddenly realized I hadn't seen a confirmation email. I texted her and she said "omg I put it in!" I asked if she had been careful to check the box where it said "sub has accepted the job, no need for STAN [the name of our system] to call". She said "um..." sigh... This one has technology issues. When she put it in wrong it went to the general job list and someone took it. - Anyway, she canceled it and then the next day had the secretary hold her hand through the process of putting the job in properly.

All that to say, it happens.

Also, I agree with whoever said not to ask for feedback. Just show up early, follow the lesson plan, keep the kids safe...you'll soon get a reputation, especially if you go back to the same schools often.

Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

common but unfair
Old 09-03-2018, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

"Someone in my district just got removed from a two-day job, and a one-day job the following week, for the same teacher. They were removed from the job because it was given to me. "

Hmmm...not really fair to the other sub now, was it?

J-Mo...I am sorry that you had to experience being cancelled right out of the gate, but as the others here have said, it's just something you have to get used to as a guest teacher.

I personally think teachers should not be able to swap out subs like that, especially at the last minute. But it happens all the time. A teacher's "favorite sub" will suddenly become available, and even though you may have reserved the job a few weeks in advance, the teacher will cancel you at the last minute to give it to their fav. Fair? Nope.

It frustrates me because I will have turned down other job opportunities and may not be able to get another class to replace the cancelled one. Then I lose income. My response is to avoid accepting any classes with that teacher in the future.

A silver lining is that some contracting agencies will pay you for cancellations if they occur fewer than 24 hours in advance. I occasionally do some guest teacher work through an agency. Recently, a teaching job I had contracted for was cancelled only an hour before class. I received the full day's pay and didn't have to leave home. That's one advantage of working through an agency.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 09-04-2018 at 05:02 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-03-2018, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Welcome to one of the many bullsh*t aspects of this job. In one district, they can cancel me an hour before class and not pay me.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

I have to say this
Old 09-04-2018, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Last year, a sub called in sick. Right before the school day started. Luckily, I was available when the secretary called. The grade level had first period planning, so I got there before second period. The secretary resubmitted for the second day ( teacher needed to days off). I said I'd do it. So she was going to accept for me. The original sub snagged it first. So she cancelled the job and figured out how to put it in without needing me to accept (assigned me). The teacher wanted the same sub both days. The original sub was angry at first, but ended up being sick for several more days, so it all worked out. Sometimes, a teacher prefers a particular sub. I taught exactly what the absent teacher taught. It was my old classroom. It worked out for me and the other sub, but things were awkward for a little while.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 09-04-2018, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It's nice when the cancellation works out in everyone's best interest. But in my experience, I've lost a lot of potential income due to last minute cancellations. Just one more reason why the districts can't retain a good pool of subs. I believe that late cancellations should not be done just to switch to a favorite sub.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 09-04-2018 at 06:43 PM..

Kailey123

Old 09-05-2018, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

luv2teach -- it was hardly unfair to the other sub because he/she had only had the job for about 60 seconds. lol. The teacher put the job in wrong, I knew she'd put it in wrong because she texted me to say "I put the job in" but I didn't get the confirmation email, I texted her back, she cancelled it, then she walked down to the school office to ask the sub coordinator how to do it correctly so it went to me directly.The job is for three weeks from now. So that other sub who had the job for 60 seconds has ample opportunity to find something else for that day. Especially considering the sub shortage that we have.

Now of course it would be different if she had cancelled it for me at the last minute. I wouldn't want a teacher to do that, and if they asked me I'd say no. But, no teacher who I sub for regularly would do that anyway, because it's not fair to that other sub who has had the job in their planner for awhile.
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 09-06-2018, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I sometimes think/wish that everyone who subs should be required to spend a day or two trying to schedule subs. What we want and think is only one consideration. There are plenty of stakeholders in the game.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-06-2018, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

It'd be nice if teachers or sects called you when a multi day job got cancelled. Some do this and I really appreciate it. They usually give you a reason and then you have time to get something else. Getting a job taken away the night before sucks, esp when you hear nothing and it's so a "fave sub" can get it.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 09-07-2018, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I think the worst experience I had with this "sub switching" problem was when I arrived at an elementary school one morning to sub for a 3rd grade class.

The teacher (a rather elderly lady) was in the classroom when I arrived and became very upset that I showed up instead of her "preferred" sub. Without apology, she informed me she hadn't prepared a lesson plan, and she insisted that her fav sub would be coming to teach the class. She told me that the office would reassign me. I double checked with the office, and they assured me that the job was assigned to me. Even still, this teacher called her sub friend, who arrived late and was also told by the office that I had been assigned the job, that she did not have a job there for that day, and that the teacher could not reassign the job to her. (Thankfully they had a policy.) The "fav" sub showed up to report this to the teacher and kindly explained that she had not been aware of the assignment in the first place. (Apparently, the teacher had forgotten to tell her.)

After all this, instead of being apologetic, the teacher was annoyed. Rather than writing up any lesson plan notes, she just handed me some instructor's manuals and rattled off some vague instructions. She seemed very disorganized and a bit incoherent. I believe she was upset because her fav sub knew how to step in without a lesson plan. I didn't let it discourage me though. I was accustomed enough to 3rd grade that I was able to take charge and pull things together. Her class was pretty unruly too and a lot of work to rein in (no surprise there).

I just couldn't believe this teacher would try to give my assignment to her friend just minutes before class was to begin and then not even apologize about her mistake! She showed NO consideration for me at all. Needless to say, the next time I saw her request for a sub, I did NOT take the job!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 09-08-2018 at 07:09 AM..

Tori58

Old 09-08-2018, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I wouldn't worry about it. I only get upset about being removed from a job if it happens too late for me to get another job for that day or if I actually show up at the job and THEN find out I was removed. I removed an entire school from my AESOP account for that because, when I arrived, I didn't get an explanation, I didn't get an apology, I just got an irritated "Well, I tried to call you at 7:00 but you didn't pick up." Actually, she had tried to call me at 7:10 for a job that was supposed to begin at 7:30. I didn't pick up because I was driving and I figured I might as well find my classroom before checking my phone. *sigh*

I have occasionally blocked notifications from particular teachers who have removed me from a job more than once. In that case I figure they either didn't like me as a sub or they have a favorite sub but can't be bothered to contact them before posting the job. I always wonder why they don't just block me but I suppose they think they may need me if their favorite hits their maximum number of days.

Also, some teachers can't remember to check the "no sub needed" box for jobs that are 1-2 hours. These will show as half day jobs but are actually not real jobs because they're usually covered in-house. After 2 or 3 of these, I just block those teachers because I'm tired of being alerted to nonexistent jobs. Truth is that subs are in short supply in these parts so I'm generally working as much as I want to anyway.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Surf Catcher

Surf Catcher

You're not alone
Old 02-14-2020, 11:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I've had the same thing happen where first they said something like employee canceled job (I forget the precise terminology), but then later I got that same cancellation notice about the substitute being removed from the job, and with my name listed as the sub, I also got nervous about it. However, I never saw any feedback on Aesop, and I haven't received any more cancellations yet from the same school, so I'll just see what happens.

Anyway, it's okay if you get nervous about these cancellation notices. You're not alone. We both decided to be teachers, so we have a heightened sensitivity to anything that might seem off.

At one school, I received minor feedback for something I wasn't aware of, but that was given to me in person, not written in Aesop or an email. I had a chance to show I learned from the feedback and didn't repeat what had generated it, and they saw I had improved since the previous time. And that's a different school from ones that have cancelled jobs on me (so far).

Anyway, I get where you're coming from and why it's so easy to overthink this. I did it too. But if you're dedicated to this career then you'll do alright. People know we make mistakes. They do it, too. I've found other teachers to be friendly and helpful. We share their passion to help kids, so we have that bond with them.