School Mental Health

Education plan advice for School Counseling

>

HelperBee

Education plan advice for School Counseling
Old 01-31-2019, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all!
I would like to be a school counselor, itís been my dream since I was a child. I am currently in the middle of my bachelors degree, so it is time to decide on a major. Should I do Early Childhood Education or Psychology? Which would give me a better understanding? What looks better from a hiring standpoint?
Thanks in advance!

HelperBee is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

school counseling
Old 01-31-2019, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Early childhood education is 0-5, so I don't see how that would help you since you'd be working with K-12. If it were between those two, I'd go with psychology.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

delikate

Old 06-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I was in college, you had to be a teacher and teach for 2 years before they would accept you in a school counseling program. Now, I think you can have any degree and get your master's in school counseling.

If your ream is to be a school counselor, check with your adviser at college, or your state's department of education to find out what requirements they have for school counselors.

When you get your master's degree, see if you can find a CACREP university. They offer counseling degrees so that you can be both a school counselor and a licensed professional counselor. That way, you can always go to private practice if you decide that school counseling isn't your thing. I have done both school counseling and private practice. Do your research, follow your heart, talk to your college adviser about your plans. That's the best way to go.
delikate is offline   Reply With Quote