The Job Search

Peculiar Situation

>

Yvaine

Yvaine

Peculiar Situation
Old 04-17-2019, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there, fellow teachers! I have a peculiar situation on my hands and would appreciate any insight.
I have been applying to jobs in my state for the 2019-20 school year. I have put in well over 50 applications to multiple districts since jobs started appearing in late February. I have attended multiple job fairs and e-mailed the principals of a few promising schools. I have an advanced degree and 3+ years of applicable experience. I am certified in several grade levels/areas and possess a current certificate.

Back in mid-March, I received two phone calls for on-site interviews. I attended both interviews and was informed by both interview committees that I should not expect an answer for at least two weeks minimum. This was fine with me at the time, as other opportunities were being posted online in spades. Hereís the thing, though: Since March, I have only gotten these TWO interviews. An even more puzzling aspect: Out of the 1000+ ranked schools in my state, BOTH schools rank in the top thirty! Either of these schools would be an amazing opportunity, especially since the teaching position (s) reflect my background and experience.

It is a bit confounding to me is that these two VERY competitive schools have shown interest in me and few other schools have (Note: I am limited to ten fairly competitive districts in my state, so that may be contributing to the situation). I am in a bit of a pickle now because I am attending other job fairs in the near future and may have to accept a job offer since I have gotten no concrete offers from either interview. Now, I am about 95% certain I am at least in the top three candidates for one of the positions (The principal seemed very enthusiastic on the phone and mentioned contacting references). On the one hand, itís a blessing since I have not had to deal with conflicting offers or timetables! On the other hand, I am not sure how to proceed from here.

Has anyone had a similar situation? Should I keep applying to other districts and attending job fairs? What if I am offered a job on the spot at a fair? If I receive a verbal offer from either interview, is it acceptable for me to continue to apply to other jobs and attend interviews/fairs since I may not receive a solid contract for a while?

I would also appreciate any insight on the length of your job application process. Thanks!

cruxian

Old 04-27-2019, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Please do not sit around waiting to hear from those two schools. It's been over a month and I"m fairly sure they've gone with another candidate for the position. I wish that I could say that they contact people they interview when the job is gone but I've found that this is the exception rather than the rule. Assume you did not get those jobs and continue applying.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-27-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with the pp. After this amount of time, I would assume you did not get either position. I've interviewed places that never bothered to tell me I wasn't selected before. Definitely keep applying and interviewing elsewhere. If you want closure, contact the principals or HR and ask if the position has been filled, but definitely do not sit around waiting for an answer. You should always keep applying and interviewing until you've accepted an offer.

FWIW, I would also be very leery of a job offered on the spot at a job fair. IME, screening interviews are conducted at job fairs and then candidates are invited to a "real" interview at specific schools after that. If a school was handing out contracts at a job fair, I'd wonder what's wrong with that job/why they are so desperate for candidates.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote