Need help motivating students!

>

htorres

htorres

Need help motivating students!
Old 06-23-2019, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,

I am going into my 2nd year as director of the tutoring program at a small 6-12th grade school. My department works with students that have below a "C" average, but since there are so many and we have limited space, we only see each student once a week. Every day we have a different group. Most of them don't complete assignments so I try to motivate them to do so, but it is difficult. I have tried rewarding them by raffling gift cards and snacks once a month but the gratification seems to be too delayed to even motivate them. I would appreciate ideas on how I can reward these kids and hopefully motivate them to complete their assignments. Thank you!

Jdocpony

Charts
Old 11-05-2019, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you put up charts and have contests to see who can complete the most assignments? This way the students are tracking their own progress and also have competition. I have my students make up silly names for their charts so they are anonymous. I feel your pain with this topic. I am teaching at an Options school where all the students are either unmotivated or behind in credits. Good luck!
Jdocpony is offline   Reply With Quote

MZ90

If It's Any Help
Old 02-12-2020, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi htorres,

I know this is quite a late reply, but I hope it can be of use to you. I am currently enrolled in a course which focuses on self-regulated learning. Through the course I have learnt some great new ways to try to find and create more intrinsic motivation in my students. To be honest with you, most of my students relatively hand in all their assignments. But I believe putting in a strong effort, handing in assignments, and being motivated are connected.

First off, you might want to check this website, it gives a great introduction to SRL and could have some strategies that you could use when dealing with the students in your tutoring program:

https://serc.carleton.edu/sage2yc/se...ated/what.html

Secondly, maybe you could have each student start a reflection journal where they record what they learned every day, and also write about what things make them happy, motivated, or excited to learn. And then maybe some small rewards for completing that might help provide more incentive.

Anyways, I hope these suggestions were somewhat helpful, and let me know if you choose to use them and if it helps!
MZ90 is offline   Reply With Quote